Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

I haven't backread to see if anyone else posted this but http://www.drunkduck.com/Sleepbringer/ is pretty awesome and it hasn't been featured.
It has been mentioned before. I've mentioned Sleepbringer here twice, in fact. I think it may have finished now (or be about to) but I've no idea why the Admins didn't pick up on it while it was updating. Maybe none of them like Westerns! ;-)

Anyway, to get back on track, another of my recent finds is Tara, a fantasy tale coloured entirely in soft browns and sepia tones. Since it only has one or two panels per page, the story has yet to really get going but it looks gorgeous and, even from the little story there is so far, it has enough going on to suggest real promise!

mamaya94
mamaya94
Posted at

Hmmm…
I don't know about creative part but my comic are pretty unknown…darn…

Alright I think "The foreigner" by Jungle bean is good for me.
Well,That's because I'm a korean.But fineto me!!!

Loud_G
Loud_G
Posted at

Just found a potential goodie this morning. It only has 3 pages but looks like it is on the right track.

The Unthinkable Hybrid

Posted at

I think Coga Suro and Operator should be mentioned. They aren't exactly professional material but the story is superb. And they have a pretty good grasp on real life even if they include superheroes and robots. :)

TheBum
TheBum
Posted at

Robot superheroes everywhere shed a tear for their lack of a "real" life…

Fitz
Fitz
Posted at

*wipes the dust off this thread*

Here are two that I found just this weekend:

http://www.drunkduck.com/Monkeyshine/ - now, I haven't read through the whole story yet, but it looks pretty intersting, and the artwork looks great. The layouts and colors are pure eye-candy.

http://www.drunkduck.com/A_Word_Of_Wisdom/ - it's a series of splash pages, each with one character saying one simple sentence. Something smart. Something intriguing. It had me laugh, it had me ponder. Oh and the toned down color palette looks great, too.

Yes, I love colors :)

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

Here's one that's definitely worth taking a look at: Valentine's Dei.

It reads as a fairly traditional noir-ish detective story, somewhere between Frank Miller and Dashiell Hammett. However, the grizzled P.I. in this case is a woman, Dominique Valentine, and the streets she works in sit somewhere between Sin City and a real-world inner-city slum.

The pencilled artwork appears to be uninked, and the only colour is provided by what I assume to be washes: sometimes raincloud grey but predominantly the brown-yellow of a nicotine stain. It suits the mood of the narrative very well.

Okay, I've said enough. You can go read it for yourself now!

Posted at

^ Yeah I just found it right after you and it's interesting…

by the way that link didn't send me to the page it sent me to the front page.

Hmm, that's weird. My mistake! Ah well fix'd now.

Fitz
Fitz
Posted at

Yorick:

http://www.drunkduck.com/YORICK

I found it just this morning. Made me think of "The Wind in the Willows". It's relatively new, with just about a dozen strips so far - but it updates three times a week or so.

Luminous
Luminous
Posted at

Nil Points only started yesterday, but the whole first chapter is up and it's awesome. It's full of dimension-hopping, umbrella-wielding, magic-y goodness. Also has very nice art and good use of limited colors. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

I want to give a shout out to The Unthinkable Hybrid. It was featured a while ago, but nobody's reading it, and the creator said he'll quit if he doesn't get more pageviews! :( So please read and give it more pageviews!

jakegnu
jakegnu
Posted at

Crazy Duck (about the son of a fast food restaurant owner and his friends, room mates and the man who believes he is his guardian angel)is another great one on here alot of people I think are missing out on. It can be pretty funny at times, and the artworks pretty great these days, but the greatest thing about it is that it's turned out to be this pretty great, delicately planned out serial narrative. There's alot of cool characterization and a great mystery that's always present in the background (and sometimes the foreground) that keeps the driving the story forward. You get the sense that all the events that happen in it are really leading somewhere. But at the same time it is still a classic four panel comic strip.

www.drunkduck.com/Crazy_Duck

Check it out!

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

http://www.drunkduck.com/deadboy/

Only 11 pages in, this is a good time to look into something new. It's still forming so I'm not going to give a synopsis, but check out the style on this one. It's fairly different from a lot of other looks.

Posted at

Vanguard is very well done. It's about a high profile super metahuman team going into a mission in a warzone.

You may recognize the artist from his work on Retake. This comic is solely his own though, and he does a great job with dialog and story flow to complement his great artwork! The comic is completely pre-planned, so it has a beginning, middle, and end, so it's definitely expected to be coherent throughout it's run. Check it out.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I second Vanguard - MrHades has stepped his game up (as they say) since working on the already-great Retake.

That reminds me… has anyone recommended Shell yet? fukujinzuke is getting better and better… Shell is one of my favorite superhero webcomics! And it's not just for superhero audiences either, also combining fantasy and sci-fi elements with a kinetic, high-energy storytelling style.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

Two relatively new comics by relatively long-standing DD-ers that aren't yet getting as much love and attention as I think they deserve are:

Holon
The latest comic by Abt_Nihil. SciFi adventure with all the philosophical undertones you'd expect from Abt. Despite being set on the sterile metal environment of a space station, the fluid linework and lovely greytones still manage to make everything look somehow soft and warm. Storywise, it's already intriguing and it's barely started!

Without Moonlight
Set during WW2, this comic by Tantz_Aerine tells the story of a group of Greek resistance fighters, focusing on a number of children who were used to steal food from the occupying German forces which was then distributed among the Greek population. Come on - juvenile Robin Hoods and Nazis? How can you resist?!

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Agreed about Holon. if it keeps up with the same standard I can see it as a best sci fi nominee for next years DD awards. There are only a handful of comics I eagerly await the next update for and Holon has recently joined those ranks. Good job too as Shades has finished and left a vanancy.

Also I have been working on a sci fi project for ages… still a long way from doing it but Holon does a number of the things I want to do with it better than I am ever likely to.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.