Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Hello

I had an Idea to post this question on a couple of american based forums.
For one thing I'm really curious.
Another my steps-dads bussiness is tranfering to America in 3 years (its an international Art delivery thing, he gets alot of work out there)

So since i'll be 19, Chances are i'll be taken with him and my Mum and sister, away from England T___T

I'm worried because to put it bluntly I am so damn English, so i'm reserved and scarcastic and not in the slightest bit religous…
Will it be easy to make friends (or will people be like "go home!" and what not)

the folks are planning on getting a house in New Jersey (not sure why ^__^;;) if that makes any difference.

becky

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Sounds like you must have some stereotypes about Americans you need to work through.

Because this insinuates that you think all Americans must be the opposite of this:

so i'm reserved and scarcastic and not in the slightest bit religous…

When in fact, most people I know my age are pretty much exactly this…

I know that's not what you asked, but it seems to me that your stereotypes of Americans could be a bigger hang-up than anyone's potential stereotype of you.

Personally, I've met only a few British people, including my sister's boyfriend, and I never actually made any assumptions about them except that the English English and the American English are considerably different languages, so we do have to translate back and forth with my sister's boyfriend. Like a "biscuit" is something entirely different – among a hundred other clashing vocabulary words.

Aside from that, I can't think of any real differences. But people will notice if you have an accent. They will likely think you are more sophisticated until you prove otherwise. ;)

Posted at

Sounds like you must have some stereotypes about Americans you need to work through.

Because this insinuates that you think all Americans must be the opposite of this:
so i'm reserved and scarcastic and not in the slightest bit religous…

When in fact, most people I know my age are pretty much exactly this…

Where the Hell do you live. Because over here it's pretty much dipshit arrogant cocky dependent on everyone else land.

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

I'm probably reading too much into little details, but it just seems to me that you yourself don't think too highly of Americans. Just don't be pompous, and there'll be no problems. It's not like anyone's going to chase you out of town screaming "GO HOME, BRIT" Actually, you'll probably have people liking you just because of your accent. It's stupid, but it's true.

the folks are planning on getting a house in New Jersey
I am so, so sorry.

Posted at

the folks are planning on getting a house in New Jersey

Oh God, I missed this part. Well um… good luck I guess.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Goddamn limeys should stay home with their sexual perversions and stop looking down their chinless noses at the rest of us.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

My future plan in life is to move to America (after purchasing bulletproof skin) as the internet has taught me that American girls will find you hawt if you so much as speak in their general direction.

I assume it's the other way around, too!

Although the afformentioned bullets will be an issue!
So many bullets D:

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Where the Hell do you live. Because over here it's pretty much dipshit arrogant cocky dependent on everyone else land.
I was living in Huntington, WV (it's a "big city" in WV, but nationwide, it equates to a very large town or a very small city). It's a college town, so I'm talking about college and graduate students. Most I knew were pretty much into minding their own business/reserved. And I knew a varied religious spectrum (my best friend was wiccan/celtic; I'm Christian but not church-going) but none were the preaching/pushy type, and in fact, most never spoke of religion at all, so I wouldn't know what their faith was, and it doesn't really matter.

But now I live with my parents in southern VA. I don't actually know anyone my age here, so I can't comment on that. Everyone loves my sister's boyfriend though.

Posted at

Goddamn limeys should stay home with their sexual perversions and stop looking down their chinless noses at the rest of us.

not helpful =___=

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

You'll definitely make friends, and the worst you'll probably have to put up with is them adopting a jokey british accent like the one in fable (Ch'ken chasuh? Why do dey call you 'at name??) It's not really mean, just british accents are fun to imitate, so don't take it too hard.

I think if you don't act too reserved or rudely sarcastic, you'll fit in just fine.

Posted at

Pretty much everyone's going to initially be all OMG A BRITISH PERSON THAT'S SO COOL DO YOU KNOW SIMON PEGG?

Posted at

this is probably true, i've never been to america so all i know is stuff from movies ^^;

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

not helpful =_____O

Indeed not and I'm more damn English than you are: you'll find Americans much preferable on the whole.

Posted at

America and Britain aren't vastly different. There's some cultural and social things to adapt to, but it's not like the languages are different or one of them doesn't have TV or shopping malls. On the whole most Americans think much better of British people than the British think of Americans, because all the British movie and TV actors come across as smart and funny, and British films are 'foreign'. You'll be fine, because of the accent people will think you're charming and will remember you and will want to ask you stuff like "so what is different abou XYZ in England?" and "hahaha you say lift!" which gets old after a while.

If you'll be 19, why will you have to go with them? Wouldn't you be in the middle of uni?

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

You'll be fine. We like the British accent over here. Kind of charming.

As for NJ… no, run! Go the other way! You don't want to come to this cesspool! Take this as someone who's spent 30 years in this dump: flee while you can!

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Crotcy you got the thing about American girls loving the accent right.
Over there I was a babe magnet (as my American wife will attest!)
Trouble finding a girl? Get a yank girl! With the English accent it is like shooting sexy fish in a star spangled banner!

Counting stars (though soon to be counting stripes too I assume?)-
Americans seem alright by me, I married one as mentioned above!
Some of them are dicks, but some people over here are dicks.
Some people are dicks everywhere.
Americans will think your accent is amazing, and you get to feel like a minor celebrity every time you open your mouth. Mostly fun, occasionally tiresome or annoying.
Now I'm back here, I kinda miss the notoriety to be honest. I'm just another boring Joe-Shmow in England!
You might go over there and run into people who are horrible to you, but you might stay here and run into people that are just as bad!
You are going to New Jersey, that is a pretty liberal area. I was in freaking Utah! Conservative capital of the free world! They put plastic boards over the covers of Cosmopolitan because they thought it was too risque around there! But I still got on alright!
Also, in defence of Americans, I always assumed from American TV shows and movies that Americans are incredibly uptight and defensive when it comes to any mocking or criticism of America. I was pleased to find this not to be the case at all, and I would often amuse people at work there with joking statements about my hatred for America. They laughed, so they cant be that bad!

Skoolmunkee- What is a TV? We only receive information via town crier around here (by order of the King…by which I mean Elvis.)

Posted at

I want to go to England in cowboy clothes. I assume it works both ways right?

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Atom Apple, you don't need the cowboy clothes, everyone will be impressed with you "movie star like" American accent.
It works both ways, everyone loves a cool accent!
(American girls sound sexy. FACT.)

Posted at

(American girls sound sexy. FACT.)

Really? I thought American accents got you laughed out of the room in England. Or is that just the dudes?

It's true though, everyone loves English accents in the States, it doesn't especially matter which part of England you happen to be from. From the English people I've met here you can expect people to ask you to say certain words that we either don't use or that we just think sound better when English people say them.

Posted at

As an American girl, I'll vouch for the fact that we find British accents sexy.

At any rate, most of us aren't racist jerks over here with a strong resentment for foreigners. So you should be okay.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….
No, but we do think all Australians are Steve Irwin in disguise.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I think most British are pretty likeable. That is… 'til they drink too much. Then they're just as bad as drunken americans or australians. The wierd things I keep running into on the job… -_-

Posted at

Counting stars (though soon to be counting stripes too I assume?)-
Americans seem alright by me, I married one as mentioned above!
Some of them are dicks, but some people over here are dicks.
Some people are dicks everywhere.
Americans will think your accent is amazing, and you get to feel like a minor celebrity every time you open your mouth. Mostly fun, occasionally tiresome or annoying.
Now I'm back here, I kinda miss the notoriety to be honest. I'm just another boring Joe-Shmow in England!
You might go over there and run into people who are horrible to you, but you might stay here and run into people that are just as bad!
You are going to New Jersey, that is a pretty liberal area. I was in freaking Utah! Conservative capital of the free world! They put plastic boards over the covers of Cosmopolitan because they thought it was too risque around there! But I still got on alright!
Also, in defence of Americans, I always assumed from American TV shows and movies that Americans are incredibly uptight and defensive when it comes to any mocking or criticism of America. I was pleased to find this not to be the case at all, and I would often amuse people at work there with joking statements about my hatred for America. They laughed, so they cant be that bad!

Skoolmunkee- What is a TV? We only receive information via town crier around here (by order of the King…by which I mean Elvis.)

This was really helpful thanks :) since you've kinda gone threw what i will be in a few years ^^ i'll take what you've said into account

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.