Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Doesn't matter what country you're in, nobody likes a dickhead.

fair point good job i'm not a dickhead then :3

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Really? I thought American accents got you laughed out of the room in England. Or is that just the dudes?
Most of them do…
The ones I hear on the news from America are simply abysmal. But of course that's just the hillbillies and rednecks, so I figure that the other 2% of the American population should be okay!

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

It works both ways, everyone loves a cool accent!
(American girls sound sexy. FACT.)

When I was a junior in college there was this French girl in one of my classes. She was only moderately cute at best, but as soon as she opened her mouth everyone (women included) wanted to nail her. I was immediately deemed a friend (damn you world of warcraft!), and so the opportunity never arose.

Once when I was working at Gamestop an Irish fellow came in. Everyone woman in the room got moist as soon as he started talking (and I don't remember why there were so many) and watched him with this dreamy look in their eyes. Including my supervisor at the time who took over his transaction the second I went to go look for the game he wanted.

I remember reading a study that was conducted asking what Americans thought about people from other nations and what people from those other nations thought of us. While it was largely mutual, Americans seem to hold people in Allied nations to a higher regard than they do of us.

My point? If you're from any part of western Europe we will love you, no questions asked. Unless you're in the deep south or the boonies, because they hate everyone who isn't like them.

The ones I hear on the news from America are simply abysmal. But of course that's just the hillbillies and rednecks, so I figure that the other 2% of the American population should be okay!

Since I have a fairly neutral accent but one that's clearly American and I don't talk like one of them thar hillfolk you done mentioned, do you think I could pick up chicks in England?

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Here is a top tip for dealing with foriengers that have arrived in your country-

1) Don't ask them to say something you find amusing. They will get this a lot, and while its funny the first time its get old very fast. Also it implies you aren't really interested in them as a person and just want to hear them say phrases you find cute.

2) Don't attempt to imitate their accent. You have no idea how unfunny that is!

With regard to American girls sounding sexy, I can only speak for myself but that has always been my experience. As I mentioned, the only Americans were normally hear over here are glamorous celebrities and movie stars, so that is always a good association.

amanda
amanda
Posted at

I don't think I can say anything new here, but I definitely echo that people will auto-assume you are classy and sophisticated simply because of your accent. You'll find that there are stereotypes in place based on nationality that people will apply to you - and that you'll apply to them ^.^ But I personally find that one of the best things about stereotypes is destroying them.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….
I believe that time has been and gone. Now, thanks to the typecasting of British actors like Charles Dance, Timothy Dalton and Jeremy Irons, I'm sure they must think we're all calculating super villains.

And, apparently, that England is somewhere in Eastern Europe! ;-)

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….

Well I am simply faaaaaaabulous darling! Unfortunately not all of my peers sound quite so charming and well mannered. In fact I was confronted by a young lady only the other week who simply asked in her peasant tone "buy me some fags wud'cha?" to which I replied "certainly not you filthy young vagrant, good day!". Marvelous fun it was, mhm yes, quite.

I've always enjoyed the Scottish accent, think it's kinda cool. Hottest accent, despite the mockery of the nation, has to be French. With the right voice speaking French, damn. As for the American accent, I'm honestly not keen on it. It often seems to seap out arrogance, or just a general annoyingness. Of course thats generally thanks to the kids you speak to on Xbox live or the girls you see in programs like My Sweet 16, Next, Date my Mom and all the trashy over dramatic American programs like The OC or 90210. I know all of America isn't like that, but damn those shows are hard to stomach.

But really, everyone loves a different accent that differs from the normality of those around them.

zaymac
zaymac
Posted at

Hmmm… Since I have the uncanny ability to imitate most accents, I"ll have to do a social experiment as to which one scores best with the ladies.

My preliminary guess… Chinese.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I think that British are generally a polite and intelligent people with a high level of patience.

In fact, they seem to be a little too patient with Big Brother. The UK has more CCTV cameras than China and is the world's most surveilled state.

Posted at

I think that British are generally a polite and intelligent people with a high level of patience.

Wait for it…

In fact, they seem to be a little too patient with Big Brother. The UK has more CCTV cameras than China and is the world's most surveilled state.

BAM!

crocty
crocty
Posted at

is the world's most surveilled state.
The UK isn't part of the United States, numbnuts.

Jeez…

Also I have no idea what you mean by surveillance…Do you mean the government issued happiness-recorders? Or maybe the micro fun-detectors they place in our skulls?
Oh, it's beeping again…

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Maybe someday soon. ;)

Somebody link United States of Eurasia for me. I can't do it at work.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

In fact, they seem to be a little too patient with Big Brother.

This is true, it seems like I'm the only one who hates that show.

And as a Brit living in Britland, when I think of British people, similar images to this comes to mind.

Yeah I don't go outside much. Too much sunlight and oxygen.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

Aside from that, I can't think of any real differences. But people will notice if you have an accent. They will likely think you are more sophisticated until you prove otherwise. ;)
That sounds like you think all British accents are sophisticated! Lol.

The two accents I grew up speaking certainly ain't.

Airman
Airman
Posted at

Jeez…

Also I have no idea what you mean by surveillance…Do you mean the government issued happiness-recorders? Or maybe the micro fun-detectors they place in our skulls?
Oh, it's beeping again…

Hey, numbnuts, "State" and "country" can be used interchangeably when speaking about international affairs. Watch the news, especially the BBC. They refer to other countries as "states" quite often.

Also, Kyupol is speaking about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/world/europe/25surveillance.html

Not that most of the "Big 5" are any better, since Britain, France, America, Russia and China all rate the lowest.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Is now a bad time to tell you I was sent by the British government to spy on you all here so we can work out who to arrest?

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Is now a bad time to tell you I was sent by the British government to spy on you all here so we can work out who to arrest?

And we're still waiting for your findings. :mad:

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Jeez…

Oh, it's beeping again…

Hey, numbnuts, "State" and "country" can be used interchangeably when speaking about international affairs.
Really!
I had no idea. :|

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

So that WAS you I saw in town the other day berating some fool for saying "cookies" and not "biscuits" and then having him thrown into an unmarked van! I had a feeling there was only one anthropomorphic cat in a suit of plate mail walking around!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

For my generation when I think British I think of the Monty Python Gumby.

See everything through the prism of Python.

Any anthropomorphic Cats you see in armor are in fact disinformation put out by the MiBs.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Any anthropomorphic Cats you see in armor are in fact disinformation put out by the MiBs.

Then I… buy my whole… if that's not…. *head explodes*

mlai
mlai
Posted at

And as a Brit living in Britland, when I think of British people, similar images to this comes to mind.

Wow, all them brits look alike to me. I can't tell them apart!

Original poster:
NJ is awesome. Close to Manhattan, without the NYC income tax.
And if you hate Manhattan like me (I'm native NYer), you won't need to get close to it (which is not the case if you live in NY).
And everybody hates Bush and loves Obama, even the old ppl.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ever see East-Enders or Coronation Street?
JEEEEBUS! D:

Back in the 80's Australia traded some SHITE TV shows with the Brits: Prisoner: Cell Block H, Neighbours, and Home and Away. This crap was bottom of the barrel by 80's standards, really potato and two vege TV. Crap in the form of a TV show basically.

If a good show is a man is a business suit, then Neighbours etc was the equivalent of a dick in a pair of tracksuit pants with a shaved head that hangs around a petrol station at 3am in the morning sniffing glue.

And they gave us Coronation Street and EastEnders.
After seeing neighbours etc I'm sure many were turned off the very idea of Australia.

After watching Coronation Street and EastEnders, Australians started to see the British Isles in a very, very different light…

I suppose that explains most of the sorts of Aussies that DID go there after those shows and the kind of Brits that came here after Neighbours etc. It all makes a horrible sort of sense now T___T

————————–
On an interesting related note- A while ago I heard some British critics making some stupid point about Neighbours and how Australians tried to project an artificial view of themselves as bronzed, blonde haired and blue eyed…
Which was extremely funny when I learned that when they were selling the show to the U.K., BBC executives had actually demanded that there BE more blonde haired and blue eyed actors in it so it would match British expectations of what Australians were. lol!

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

ozone you realise of course that all those crappy shows you sent to Britain became massively insanely popular over here?
Not denying they were shit, but people seemed to love em!

Bravo- You can try and ignore the orange cat all you want, but in the end my giant comedy foot will still come down from the sky and squash you.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.