Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.

AshenSkye
AshenSkye
Posted at

Hey, no prob. I was guessing it was some kind of side effect from a tweak since it used to work and y'all hadn't heard about it yet. All the other things I've noticed I've seen a post saying they were being worked on. =)

I really do need to make a button for it because it won't be the last poll I do. I also need to make one for my dA and LiveJournal down in Other Links. Not because of brown links but because of consistency.

Posted at

The past couple of days trying to post in comic pages, at the comic comment section is very tedious, like the typing in the typing box appears at a latency as if the browser is overwhelmed with some sort of processing or something. It doesn't happen in the forums but it happens in nearly all the comics I tried to comment on. Maybe check that out a bit?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Commenting works just fine for me. I tested in a number of comics, in my standard protected browser and in a completely unprotected version of IE9. No issues with comments.

Given your description of the issue, it really sounds like something screwy on your end Tantz.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a virus, but I couldn't rule it out…  Mostly though I would say you should try updating your browser and its plugins like flash, Java, shockwave, that sort of thing.
Older versions of plugins are vulnerable to attack or may just cause things to run slow because they can't handle the code intended for newer versions.
-best of the best is to have Chrome, Firefox, or Seamonkey with ad-blocker and flashblock installed, so YOU decide what flash content can load or not :)

-And then finally cleaning up cookies is always something to try.

I really hope one of those things fixes it! It may just go right by itself, but you never know.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

Arghhh. Ever since you guys put up those ridiculous giant side banner ads, my comic background image is gone, and every time I go to comment on a comic I get sent to a blank white page.

The other day, you guys had temporarily taken the ads down and miraculously the site was working again. Now you've put the damn things back up and the site's not working again. I don't think it's a coincidence. Please take them down and leave them down. Ad money won't do you any good if the ads wreck the site and everybody leaves.

*EDIT: Also, the my favorites and my comics tabs don't work from the main page (though they do work from the forums.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'll forward that to Jacob.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

In addition to what El Cid reports, the favorites tab doesn't work on comic pages either. I've tried adding at least 3 comics to my favorites list and it won't respond ("javascript" appears breifly in my Firefox addon bar at the lower left of my screen when I click it, nothing happens)
*edit* with the ad gone it works now!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I emailed that off to Jacob as well.

SLK8ne
SLK8ne
Posted at

Not sure if this is a design error, but, what is "media pass" and why does it want me to sign up every time I go to a comic?

SLK8ne
SLK8ne
Posted at

I cannot view ANY comic on here without Media Pass trying to stick me for money. WTF????
Keept this up and I'll pull my comic off and go elsewhere. Period.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

I'd like to know too. I'm not entering anything into any field until I'm sure this isn't some virus or scam, and if it's not a virus/scam, it is still a really terrible idea to force people to sign up just to read  webcomics. Lurkers make up like 90% of our audience these days because of sign-in problems and password problems. A little explanation or warning ahead of time would be nice if this is legitimate but still, what premium content? The comics themselves? Whaaat?

And plus, I have to sign up to look at my own freaking comic? I can't even edit my layout right now thanks to that thing redirecting! No no no, bad!

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

What Amelius said, succinctly. I also noticed my crummy lil Tracphone can't look at the site anymore as of very recent. A beneficial side effect by someone's imagination, I'm sure.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

This problem is not comming up for me, Signed ot or even signed in as an admin or non-admin user is Firefox or IE9. Lot's of people DO have it though!!!

Having a look at the blockable items on adblocker I saw entries for Media pass!

SO,
as a temporary fix, if you're running firefox, install adblocker here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
 If you have chrome, get it here:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Now
when you're on a DD page, click your adblock icon, if you've got one
up, look at the list of blockable items, select them and block them one
by one.
-Meebo and Media pass would be the ones to kill :)

I DO hope that works! Will have to see what I can find out about the rest.

With this in place, DD is not usable right now. Sorry guys for this shit.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Looks like it's known Spyware, my pals are reporting getting hit with it too when they go to view comics. That's very upsetting. I hope nobody tries to sign up and gets their computer jacked up.

A friend sent me this link about it: http://www.vcn.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=374 
*edit!* Haha, you posted right as I did I think! Thanks for the information on that, that'll probably be a lot more helpful.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Right, I've emailed Jacob at Wowiow about this, including all the info people have found, including your link. Thanks for that Amelius!!!

In the mean time, ad block is the only way around this.
Sorry again for this extremely shitty state of affairs!!!!!!!!!!

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

I'm wondering if it's only targeting the US viewers or not, another friend from across the pond reported no such problems with it either. Dunno if that's helpful information or not but anything to help out! (and pardon my ignorance if anyone who reported the trouble here is outside the U.S.!)

Thanks Oz, you really do a lot to keep this site together! :D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

No worries Amelius.
I was thinking that it might be region specific too.
I really hope it's not intentional of Wowio's part because this is a really, reallybad way to manage it…. whatever it is.

The Day in LA doesn't start for 9 hours or so, so I won't get any anwers from Jacob till then. Might have to ask Skool if she can follow that up since I'll be in bed.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Jacob emailed me back to say that he was dealing with it.
Apparently it's an ad provider than has gone weird or something.

SLK8ne
SLK8ne
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Jacob emailed me back to say that he was dealing with it.
Apparently it's an ad provider than has gone weird or something.
Well, I'm glad its a thrid party. I would be less than thrilled if Wowio! did that to us. (which is what I was thinking when it popped up, sorry for jumping to conclusions to Jason and the other admins)

A company that is demanding payments so you can access your account is not just "gone weird" but is is trying a form of extortion. They weren't just putting up a pop-up, they were trying to shake the Duckers down for money. I'd suggest the admins block ads from that company if possible. And if not raise hell with the ad stream people. Cause if I can't see my page, I can't see the Duck's adstream either, which means it's costing Wowio! money.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I know… this stuff is fucking tbings up for us all.
Jacob tells me that nediapass was taken down. 

crazeyal2
crazeyal2
Posted at

My original login is inaccessable. I tried loging in, and my PW did not work. I tried the reset option, the site went into meltdown. I created this login, but even though I am logged in, when I try and view an adult rated comic, I recieve a "You must be logged in" error.
Help?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Sure, just tell me what that account name is and I can fix it for you. Is the email address you used for that account still in use?

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Hey just a heads up, while I was reading through a comic the site started slowing down halfway through loading a page and froze up so I switched the adblocker back on (I had it off because I don't want to deny revenue from non-DD webcomics I visit) and tried to go back a page, it wouldn't respond but my task bar noted the site was actively trying to connect to MediaPass again. I can't imagine it's something integrated into the site now, and my computer is not infected with mp's malware either, but considering what happened last time the word "MediaPass" popped up in the address task bar, I feel it's cause for concern. It's blink and you'll miss it whenever a page loads (even with adblock on) but it's definitely there, and I even got a screenshot (which is tricky when stuff is flashing by so fast as the page loads.) If not for the slowness of the site when I was trying to read a comic, I wouldn't have noticed it at all. It's kind of hard to miss when you're looking at the data transfer bar to see what the big holdup is and it's "connecting to MediaPass.com".

If this is something actually on the site on purpose, we deserve an explanation especially since we were told it was taken down after it went rogue and tried to shake people down for money.
It's there and it's makin' me paranoid!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'll ask Jacob at Wowio about it.
It culd be theat they also run legitimate ads, but if their porly made script is slowin the site to a crawl they're just as bad as before.
Could you please send the screeny to my email: ozoneocean at yahoo dot com?

Posted at

You can allow certain sites or banners. I allow project wonderful in my adblock. If a comic site not on DD uses ads, simply allow the content from that site only in adblock.
I never turn mine off, especially here :P

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.