Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Okay, so I'm like the kid who hollers about the emperor's nakedness, but
This New Site Is NOT about a Duck.
It's about an egg.  Go on – check out the new logo.  Look at that thar darn background.  There's no duck.  It's EGG.   And it makes total sense.  It's two steps backward for the promised one step forward.
LOOK! – biologically mathematical:   drunk duck >(stepback)>  sober duck >(step back)> egg.
And if you go to http://www.theegg.com/, it says, right there: 
Solutions Designed For You
hahahahahaha – oh my, side splitter!   hahahaha

Posted at

ayesinback, from what I understand they do intend to get the duck and quail back in the logo… or at least they did, I'm not sure if/when they'll actually do it. Last year we got a handful of artists to draw some ducks and quails, and the plan was for those to be rotated through and eventually get more people to do them. Sort of like how Google does those special logos. Unfortunately I think with all the new site stuff going on the logo stuff is probably a super-low priotity.

So, I've handed those ducks and quails over to VegaX for his Duck and Quail comics, he's already using Hawk's as the new page background. :]

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

A LOT has been said, but considering the "move" was suppose to happen in May, and then was re-evaluated and pushed out to July, and then had several false starts before a parade of 502s and 504s occurred – and now this is where we are –

well, laughter is about the best I can do.

The situation reminds me of the movie The Money Pit.  It's like we all moved in while the a-frame is still being built.  We can hope the site turns out as well as that fictional house did.  Unfortunately the current situation is about as funny as that movie was (not much)

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I'm not fond of the color scheme and will call it Drunkduck no matter what the logo says. Aesthetics change, and can be gotten used to. I just want it to be a functional and user friendly site, which it is not yet. Priorities, you know?

~Please let me see my recent update without going back pages or logging out.
~Please give us our stats.
~Please let us see the most recent comment(s) somewhere on the control panel.
~Please show the last post info in the forums.
~Please fix the "last updated" dates on our favorites lists.

~Also a functional WYSIWYG (or even functional bb code) forum and author notes would be greatly appreciate.

While it is technically functioning now, I feel like there are so many obstacles to finding and enjoying all the updates and community on DD at the moment. It takes at least five times longer to do anything here, because the site has been stripped of all the features that inform us of changes and updates to comics and forums.

Once my hands are untied, and I can start enjoying webcomics and the DD community again, we can talk color sheme.

Posted at

I know guys, it still needs a lot of work. They know it at Wowio too. All I can really say is that they are working under a lot of pressure/constraints (I can't talk about it) and weren't able to do everything they wanted to do in the time they needed to do it. They're absolutely aware of where the site is falling short.

They've outlined the plan for the near future to me and it sounds all right, if it's what ends up happening. Meanwhile I'm trying to pick my battles here and facilitate what I think can be facilitated. I know a lot is going to depend on people's patience levels but some of this stuff has just ended up being unavoidable. :I

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I know they're working hard. I just want to make sure they don't forget anything. :) Building from scratch can mean important things unintentionally get left out (especially if their importance isn't realized). I know you and ozone are the acting user-coder mediaries, and that's a lot for you too.

Like others, I do wish things were more polished before the move. But I know there are bothersome business-y deadlines and stuff. I can put up with functional-but-frustrating as long as I know stuff is getting done to correct it and not leaving us dead in the water (as DD does have precedence for).

Posted at

I Am The 1337 Master wrote:
@ skoo: but until then, it seems that the forums will just stay dead…
so…yep
Well, the main thing I'm trying to advocate right now is a change to the forum colors sooner rather than later. :]

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Howsabout a pick your own forum color functionality in the next version of the forum?
It should be rather easy to create… (Even I could do it)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

skoolmunkee wrote:
 Well, the main thing I'm trying to advocate right now is a change to the forum colors sooner rather than later. :]
And just when I'm getting used to the color scheme.  It reminds me of a 1970's kitchen and dining room and for the forum we're all just sitting around the coffee pot BSing.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Kroatz wrote:
Howsabout a pick your own forum color functionality in the next version of the forum?
An easier solution would be just changing it to a colour that isn't hideous to look at.
I'm baffled. We've been saying for months how horrendous this is. What were they doing in that time?
God I was gonna write more but my eyes are seriolusly hurting right now so I'm cutting this short

Posted at

Kroatz wrote:
That's funny. It's exactly the same thing I said, probably close to a year ago, when they first posted images of the proposed forum.

Some may have probably noticed that I'm not really popping up that much, around here, nowadays. That's partly because I'm exceptionally unhappy with the way the forum is set up, both color-wise and funcionality-wise. It's also that I simply have less free time, nowadays, what with school taking up allot of my time.

But seriously man, while I can handle the name, I can't handle this crappy forum, which was one of the main things that was keeping me here.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Product Placement wrote:
But seriously man, while I can handle the name, I can't handle this
crappy forum, which was one of the main things that was keeping me here
Sad to see so much less of you around here man. :(

Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Product Placement wrote:
But seriously man, while I can handle the name, I can't handle this
crappy forum, which was one of the main things that was keeping me here
 Sad to see so much less of you around here man. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I can readress that I'm using the internet for recreational purposes much less then before, thanks to school and work that I got through school. After spending a better part of the day problemsolving through the internet, you kinda want to take a break from it during your time off. Doesn't mean I'll be gone gone, though.

Unfortunetly though, after being on the front seat in the "the site will get better… after the changover" bandwagon, I've kinda burned through all of my patience already. Allot of people I've gotten to know for the past year or more have fled this site for exactly this reason, and being someone who extensively used the forum, I feel that the state it was left in to be highly unexceptable.

Quoting is a pain, creating links is a damn challenge, allot of old features are missing and I'm afraid to press the edit button out of fear of having the whole thing blow up in my face.
These are all things I pointed out over two months ago, after pointing these issues out long before that, while they were still designing this mess. I honestly can't understand why they couldn't just kept the old forum editor, since it worked adequately enough, and focused instead on more important things, like that new comic editor of theirs. And how many times do we have to bring up the damn color?
P.S. I know I didn't get a chance to do so before, so welcome back from your trip. Glad to know that you enjoyed your global trip thing. You didn't show up here, though.

Posted at

There you go; wrote a fairly straightforward reply and I can point out at least 3 things that are wrong with it:

* Quote in quote is not working properly.
* The automatically generated link, that should take users to Oz's profile leads nowhere.
* Line spacing is still not working properly, even though I pressed enter - space bar - enter, after every paragraph.

And if I press edit to try to fix it, the quotes will dissapear and the line spacing will become even more messed up than before. Know that one from experience.

Edit: Ah! And apparently, the bullets are not working either.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

I KNOW there's no debate on the name deal — but still, I propose an alternate:  DaftDuck.

Really, isn't it a little crazy that I get CF "PM"s for a DD game because the DD PQ system is dismal?
(oh wait – another name:  dismalduck)

yes, Leet.  I'm talking about you.

Posted at

Really? The PQ system I actually like quite a bit, I like how you have the whole conversation there.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

The PQ system is excellent here, but unfortunately since there's no indication whatsoever as to when you've received a new PQ, it's a pain in the you-know-what to even bother with.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

El Cid wrote:
The PQ system is excellent here, but unfortunately since there's no indication whatsoever as to when you've received a new PQ, it's a pain in the you-know-what to even bother with.
this

alexhatzia
alexhatzia
Posted at

I haven't been to the site in a while, and upon coming across the home page I didn't know it was an online comic site anymore! :P

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

It does say "The Duck Webcomics" at the top. Just sayin'.

LimKoh
LimKoh
Posted at

usedbooks wrote:

Like others, I do wish things were more polished before the move. But I know there are bothersome business-y deadlines and stuff. I can put up with functional-but-frustrating as long as I know stuff is getting done to correct it and not leaving us dead in the water (as DD does have precedence for).

hope you have sorted this out..:)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

LimKoh wrote:
usedbooks wrote:

hope you have sorted this out..:)
LOL
Sort off :D

dbartnerd
dbartnerd
Posted at

Ah man I just started on here…. did I miss all the drinking? Duck drank himself sober? Impressive…. most impressive.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.