Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What was your first CD?
It's the 30th anniversary of the CD format apparently…

Mine was No Jacket Required by Phill Collins - given to me as a gift. It wasn't bad, a bit poppy, but nice and high energy like a lot of 80s music was.

First CD I got that I actually wanted was Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer. Still love it :)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, of course.  I'm just so average.

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

Mine was this when it first came out, all those years ago..

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Midnight Oil - diesel and dust
i didn't get a CD player for a while. i had a lot of cassets and records before that.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

same here, i only had tapes until i was about 12 or so.
the first one i can remember is either Metallica-Ride the Lightning, which i coaxed a friend's mom into buying for me, or Obituary-World Demise. i dont remember how i got that one. satan probably delivered it. i was happy to see once that the smoke stacks in the world demise album had been used in a textbook at school! sans Obituary logo of corse.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Celine Dion, Falling Into You

It was a gift. I didn't even own a CD player. I had to buy one. I never got any more CDs. I listened to my sister's – or the radio. My CD player was crap. It jumped and skipped like an old record player.

Come to think of it, the first CD I ever used was a CD-ROM disc on my dad's new school computer that he brought home for the summer. It was a first person exploratory chemistry lab.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

In 1984 a friend invited me over to his house.  He did stereo hook-ups for parties and such so had all the latest gear including this brand new thing called a CD.  It had finally dropped below a $1000 for a player!

He put the headphones on me and there is was better than anything, Pink Floyd.  I didn't get my first CD until I bought a CD player when I moved in with the wife to be five years later, butthe first CD was indeed Pink Floyd and the second was the same as MrHades.
The third was this:

Posted at

Mine was this: 

I had invited the terrible trio together with which we made up the dangerous quartet of my high school over for a few laughs and they'd dared me (in the usual giggly girl manner) that I wouldn't dare phone a radio station and participate in a contest they were having with that CD as the prize.

Clearly, I won the dare. :P 
But I had to wait until my folks bought a CD player to listen to it. Can't say I was overly enthused. 

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

Eh, I'm going to be the odd one out here…

I always say that I was born with an NES controller in my hand–once a gamer, always a gamer. I did listen to music that everyone else listened to, but just on the radio; never bought any tapes or CD's. The first music CD I ever purchased was the official soundtrack of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, a PS1 game. I always had a thing for game music and listened to it more than normal music, and to be honest? I still listen to game music more than anything else.

I know. I know. I'm a mega-nerd. But at least I embraced it!

Posted at

Pearl Jam's Versus. I was a huge PJ fan and I didn't even have a CD player at that point, I was still saving up. But the album had just come out and so on release day my friends and I walked to the record shop at lunch and bought our copies. (I also bought a tape so I could actually listen to it.)

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I can't rememmber.I got two CDs pretty close to each other, so I cannot remember which ine was bougt first. It was either Smashmouth's Astro lounge or Back Street Boy's Black and Blue.  

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

This is a really interesting topic becauseit dates people in all sorts of cool ways! And it's hard to recall, isn't it?

Thinking back, almost all my CDs were gifts, even stuff I really wanted… I just went through my collection now and even a lot of the older CDs of stuff I liked back at the time are things I bought second hand much later so it's really tricky to tell when it comes to working out what was the first CD I actually bought with my own cash :(

Back in the day I listened to LPs and stuff I taped fro the radio or swapped with friends or bought on tape… CDs were pretty expensive.
First CD I bought might have been Pump by Aerosmith… Or Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz, or Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos? Or maybe they were still all gifts, I dunnoooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted at

Fist CD I actually bought was an SM from UCI bookstore way back when.  Kimagure Orange Road Sound Color 2.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
This is a really interesting topic becauseit dates people in all sorts of cool ways! And it's hard to recall, isn't it?
Very Cool – and for me impossible to recall.  We were late into the CD scene, and I think there was a lot of catch up all at once.  Pretty sure Phil Collins was among the first.

If you want dated – I do remember my first LPs.  There were two, and I received them at age 2  (haha):  Paul Simon and Lily Tomlin's This Is A Recording.  Sorry that Lily has disappeared, but still have Paul.  and a turntable

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Wow… So early 90s!
It's funny, people often characterise the 90s by stuff like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, but those were the big standout exceptions, stuff like Abt's CD there was really what the early 90s was all about- Which makes this even MORE interesting!!

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

Well, my first vinyl was this, Abt:
Hardly very refined/sophisticated - LOL

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Abt_Nihil wrote:
It might have been this one:

I was 13.

hahahaha! i like how you said that like you were picking someone out've a line up.

Posted at

How was mine sophisticated? It has hanging feet on the cover.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

i beat alla yas in sophistication! mine's environmentally conscious!

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

The first cassette tapes I remember having that didn't inlude a story book with them was a collection of soundtracks from several Disney movies. I don't remember all the movies that were in the collection, but I at least know that in included Snow White and Pinochio.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

PIT_FACE wrote:
hahahaha! i like how you said that like you were picking someone out've a line up.

Hahaha!

———-

Wow, now we're on to the first music of any kind we ever got… When I was little mum and dad had a big reel to reel tape machine- you know, like they used to have in all the videos of professional recording studios back in the '70s and '80s or in any TV show featuring "computers" back then. They were great big reels with miles of tape!

My family never, ever got an actual cassette tape player as part of the home stereo. We had a reel to reel player and a record player, then moved straight to CDs.
For cassettes we had a little portable Sony radio, and of course my sister and I each had a Walkman!

As for the earliest records I ever got given to me… There was a Disney one, with singing… uhg… There was a Star Wars one that was pretty good: one of those read a long things. That was back when it was called "Star Wars", NOT "Episode whothefuckcares"

Two others I got as a little tadger, both record singles-
- The Ballad of Peter Lalor  (Australian historical revolutionary hero involved in the Eureka Stockade… it was just '60s style retro folk music.
- Paul McCartney singing Mul Of Kyntyre

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.