Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Today I did what dick dastardly never could do …. Catch a pigeon!

Call Me TOM out!

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I've been translating stuff on duolingo just for fun/practice and idiots keep revising my translations to things that are wrong, so I have to change them back and add a note explaining why. Someone just changed "camarade" from "friend" to "comrade." THE CHARACTERS ARE NOT IN SOVIET RUSSIA.

ozoneocean wrote:

That's a real shame hippie! Sometimes you're just unlucky… The best and most stressful way to win is to wait till the last 10 seconds to put in your main bid. Really gets the hear racing and the sweat pouring. Juist DON'T be tempted to exceede your limit in that moment. :(

I won a beautiful antique Edwardian frock coat the other day. I can't wait till it gets to me. It was a cool win too. The auction was ending at 3am so I put in my maximum bid at 1.30am and went to sleep. When I woke up for work I found I'd won it and it didn't go anywhere near my maximim! I got it super cheap. That almost NEVER happens.

That's good advice! That's definitely what the other person did. I was waiting there happily, ten seconds to go, and then
YOU'VE BEEN OUTBID
YOU LOST THE AUCTION
NOOOOOOOOO

Congrats on the coat! You'll have to post some pics when it gets to you.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@Hippie- that's what they do the bastards… The really sneaky ones can get in in the last 5 seconds, but that's chancy because lag can make your bid fail to register. The important thing is to try and keep the bid price as low as you can so you don't bid up untill right before the end.

—-

@Bravo:
Exactly like futures trasing.!
Formal aspects are another way to "read" art. As Kawaii says. There are many other ways … Art that was strictly formal was a popular thing from the '40s to the early '70s when new fads took over. But even formal art isn't just about technique. Look at Rothko's colour fields or his temple. The formal elements are strong but there were other ideas he wanted to communicate.
The reason I say you need a degree is because art is more complex these days… Artist's statements are minefields of postmodernist buzzwords, and they all think they're scientists and philosophers now, doing important work into the human condition to help us understand our senses and brain… -_-

But the thing is that the person on the street gets very little of that. They relate to the art through their senses only and what little they've learned in formal art education or picked up on TV or from reading etc. Meanwhile the artists and critics know who the work was influenced by, why it was made,  why it got selected for the show,  who the philosopher is that the artist refenced as well as how this work compares to other works inspired by the same philosopher… AND what the long form of the artist's rationale means.

Some art shows remind me of those promo vids you see on YouTube for high end military gear: sure you can watch them and know what's going on on the screen,  but that vid isn't really for you.

There ARE many artists who're against that trend and do more popularist stuff, or just make fun of highly conceptual work. The current incarnation of "hyper realists" are an example of people moving to more skill based, broadly understandable representational subjects… But they all get subsumed right into the machine in the end: when they're noticed, given shows, money and popularity then there's no more making fun or effort to be understandable to the board public  
Because money and fame are great! :D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Wow… For some reason there's a site in my phone bookmarks that's for a company renting out giant heavy equipment and selling the used stuff. One of the things for sale are cranes like these:
https://cranenetwork.com/details?id=174551&pn=cranes
That wasn't the site either… Just one I happened to get a pic from 

The little boy that I was would LOVE to have one of those!!!

Posted at

@Oz-
That crane is fantastic! I can imagine it getting a brand new paint job and passing as a pseudo mech suit. That would be a pretty sweet ride to drive around the outback.

@Call Me Tom-
Are you having pigeon soup? Or will it be roasted squab on the menu tonight?

tupapayon
tupapayon
Posted at

Understanding today art = follow the money?
Hope not, but almost everything's for sale… maybe I should try to sell my soul on ebay…
I should try to catch pigeons as part of my recovery therapy… I should talk to the terapist (not sure wether physical or mental)…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I would learn to drive especially FOR that machine :D
- I don't drive… It just became a thing for me. I refused to learn. So far I haven't ever needed that skill despite everyone telling my how important it is. ^_^
—–

That reminds me of the story I'm sure I've told all you guys before about the two doves I caught simultaneously, one in each hand, when they walked into my house and couldn't get out again. I was chatting to SpANG at the time online… Well I had to stop to catch the birds of course.
Then I let them both go at the same time outside, throwing them up into the air. That was fun.  Doves are so silly.

Now Pidgeons are a bit more wiley. Not much, but they're certainly a bit beafier and stronger. I think you'd need TWO hands for one of those?

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

@ozoneocean: I have also refused to learn how to drive! Although I'm somewhat ashamed of it. But really since I can't afford a car anyways and plan to spend my life in big cities, it doesn't make much difference in my life.

People can be so weird about parenting. One of my favourite comic artists, Kate Beaton, came out with a children's book about a princess and a pony not too long ago. I was looking at reviews to see if my older sister might like it for her grade two students, and came across a number of reviews by people shocked and chagrined that the pony farts in the book. Things like "we've tried to keep words like 'fart' out of our child's vocabulary." Wtf? I don't know if it's because my dad had the bigger hand in keeping us entertained as kids, but I always thought fart/gross jokes were THE FUNNIEST as a kid and can't remember ever being discouraged from that kind of thing. My dad and I used to come up with and perform stories like "Franklin eats mud and then barfs," and I loved Pat the Beasty and Captain Underpants. What kind of weird repressed kids are you going to have who aren't allowed to say 'fart'?

Gunwallace
Gunwallace
Posted at

My father refused to teach me to drive until I'd bought my own car. I had savings. I bought a computer instead, and so don't know how to drive. I stand by that decision.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

You non-drivers are better off living in civilized countries where it is possible to survive without getting behind the wheel of a 2 ton death machine.

You can't survive without driving in the USA. Racers man your cars!  (speed racer opening follows)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIu61s2PDo

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Kawaii, did you pass the exam?

Hippie, farts should not be repressed in a healthy society. Trumps on the other hand (which mean the same thing over here) are sorely in need of repression and nobody, however wealthy they may be, should be allowed to build a giant trump tower.

Is it just me, or is there no way to link your additional pages to your non-additional page?

Posted at

@Ironscarf-
I am still waiting until the end of next week for the third part to be graded and the scores posted. I was handed a print out of my tentative scaled scores on the first two sections immediately after my exam. I excelled on the math section because I am Asian and my reading score was comfortably above the passing mark.

@Hippie-
I once met a girl named "Fart" and I called her that for over two years, but then I found out it was only her nickname. I continued calling her Fart because I never learned her real name.

ON DRIVING

I did not get my license until April of this year. I am at the tail end of my twenties, so most of my friends have already had their license since they were teenagers. Regardless, it was a major step for me and I am still getting used to life behind the wheel.

I had the same mindset as HippieVan and Oz, I decided early on that I could get around with public transportation as long as I lived in a major city. That is one of the main reasons I found myself moving back to Los Angeles for eight year riding the buses, trains, and subways around town. I really enjoyed people watching, napping, and listening to music while I waited for the bus to get me to my stop. I never felt there was an issue getting around with public transportation while living abroad. In most places having a car is a luxury instead of a requirement.

There were a few obstacles of not having a car in a big city. Several of the internships I wanted to apply for required me to have driver's license and a car. I had to limit my job prospects to places located along a bus route. I also had to leave my house over an hour and a half earlier so I would not miss a connecting bus. Public transportation also gave me a curfew because it limited the places I could get to safely at night. I ran into some really scary nights when the subway stopped running and I had to get to the sketchy sides of downtown alone to catch the only bus home.

Eventually the opportunity to learn how to drive was offered to me last year when I found myself living in a California suburb without a reliable public transit system. I did not pass the road test the first time around, but I was determined to get over the hurdle and keep practicing. I passed on my second attempt because I was a lot more focused and prepared than the first attempt.

I have not had a drop of alcohol since I earned my license, which is nothing new because I was never really a lush before. Driving has allowed me to be more social and actually have a night life again but it has also made me a full-blown teetotaler. I now have the peace of mind that when I go out to a bar with my friends, I can guarantee that the person driving the car will be completely sober at the end of the night. There were a few times when I rode in a car of a person who was not fit to drive, because I felt I had no other choice since I did not have a driver's license. I wish I had my license sooner because I am the perfect designated driver.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Bravo's right!  In the more 'rural' states, driving is an absolute must!  There just isn't any public transportation infrastructure!
@Hippie: I bought my kids two children's books: 'The gas we pass', and 'Everybody poops'!  Subject matter is easy enough to guess, and they come with lots of child-like illustrations of animals (and people) farting and crapping!!  Great stuff!!

Posted at

On the topic of catching wild creatures-

There was a gecko on my bathroom floor when I walked in there a few minutes ago and I caught it with a jar. I immediately released it outside where it should have a better life.

I had to look up any superstitions pertaining to geckos and it said "a gecko in the house is lucky" and a gecko heard between 6 AM and noon means that good news is on the way.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

I had one of those geckos in the house once, for about 15 minutes - got a good deal on car insurance ;)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
Is it just me, or is there no way to link your additional pages to your non-additional page?
 If you sent me the link and a small image, I can add links for you!

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I once met a girl named “Fart” and I called her that for over two years, but then I found out it was only her nickname. I continued calling her Fart because I never learned her real name.

Oh man, this is WAY worse than the time I found out I was the only person who called my friend Daniel "Dan." Seriously though, that's a great story. Did you really think that was her name for two years?

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Eventually the opportunity to learn how to drive was offered to me last year when I found myself living in a California suburb without a reliable public transit system. I did not pass the road test the first time around, but I was determined to get over the hurdle and keep practicing. I passed on my second attempt because I was a lot more focused and prepared than the first attempt.

Did you have a friend/family member teach you, or did you take driving lessons? I feel like at this point I'm not even sure how I would go about learning. It's been some 6 or 7 years since I finished my in-car lessons and I remember literally nothing. Pretty sure my dad doesn't have the time/patience to teach me, and driving lessons are really expensive. :(

For reasons aside from not knowing how to drive, though, I think I would hate living anywhere that didn't have solid public transportation. I love taking the bus/subway, and I think good public transport is a sign of a vibrant city.

Posted at

@Hippie-

My best friend introduced her to me as "Fart" and she did not make a correction, so I thought it was an actual name! It was from some inside joke that took place before the introduction.

And yep! I did the whole driving school/behind-the-wheel shindig in high school, but the instructors were oh so mean and yelled a lot. I never even tried the behind-the-wheel driving test back after I completed the six month waiting period.

As far as driving schools, I paid for ten hours from a Defensive Driving School ($400) to learn the basics and gain confidence. Anytime a family member was in the car while I was learning was accompanied by A LOT of screaming and it added to the stress. In California, the only requirement to practice is to pass the written permit theory test and to have a licensed driver in the car at all times. I spent a lot of hours driving my grandmother around town on errands and that gave me a lot of practice. The most difficult part was finding a living, breathing human with a driver's license willing to ride in the passenger seat.

I think the behind-the-wheel exam in Canada tests highway driving in addition to the residential and business streets. There are also different weather conditions like snow that I have never experienced.

tupapayon
tupapayon
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
There are also different weather conditions like snow that I have never experienced.
I swear… every year here in Michigan, people forget how to drive on the snow… 

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

tupapayon wrote:
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
There are also different weather conditions like snow that I have never experienced.
 I swear… every year here in Michigan, people forget how to drive on the snow…
I get the feeling that is not so much forget, but having found driving in the snow such a traumatic experience they've blocked it from their memory in the vain hope that they will never have to experience it again.

I've driven in just about everything and on roads closed because of the weather. But I own a Subaru. I know about down shifting for extra traction (that's what the 1 and 2 are for on auto-trans vehicles!) and not using the brake when there's chance of slipping and sliding. I also carry a shovel, blanket and emergency rations, a really basic tool set and stuff.  I've gotten stuck, had to climb fences to reach public phones (oh joy for cell phones!) and for the most part know self recovery (getting the vehicle unstuck but in sand you're doomed so forget it unless you invest in one of those big wheel monster truck things or some kind of surplus military vehicle)

And I occasionally get around to doing basic maintenance like tire pressure and oil changes. But washing and vacumming the car? Why? The dirt is a sign of pride! 

And of course I didn't just fail the behind the wheel test once. I failed TWICE mainly because of acute anxiety.

Posted at

I credit passing my road test on a couple of reasons:

- My examiner was the only male and the two female examiners at my DMV looked like angry bitches. I am biased because one of the ladies administered my test the first time and failed me in less than five minutes for two critical errors.
- I scheduled my test on trash day, which meant fewer cars on both sides of the road for a wider turning radius.
- I monitored the ten day weather forecast prior to exam day for no rain and overcast so I could see clearly without getting blinded by the sun.
- I also did not want to schedule the exam during the lunch break, but I wanted the examiner to have eaten
- I looked up the bell schedule for the local high school along the route to make sure I tested before school ended so I would not need to worry about too many children J-walking across the street
- I looked very serious and did not talk or act distracted
- I practiced driving in the same vehicle I used for the test over a six month period (Important)
- Oh yeah, and I was wearing leather gloves (but that might have knocked a point off just for the principle)

I drive a Ford Explorer SUV, which is a rather large vehicle for me. I like it because I feel less intimidated when sharing the road with all the gas guzzling Hummers that the marines love to drive around here. I am curious to see what it would be like to drive a Smart Car even though those cars have just enough room for one other passenger and a backpack.

tupapayon
tupapayon
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

- My examiner was the only male and the two female examiners at my DMV looked like angry bitches. I am biased because one of the ladies administered my test the first time and failed me in less than five minutes for two critical errors.

When I was reading that I thought: I know, I've seen your picture… That, adding to the other reasons, is what I call strateging…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

- I scheduled my test on trash day, which meant fewer cars on both sides of the road for a wider turning radius.
- I monitored the ten day weather forecast prior to exam day for no rain and overcast so I could see clearly without getting blinded by the sun.
- I also did not want to schedule the exam during the lunch break, but I wanted the examiner to have eaten
- I looked up the bell schedule for the local high school along the route to make sure I tested before school ended so I would not need to worry about too many children J-walking across the street
- I looked very serious and did not talk or act distracted
- I practiced driving in the same vehicle I used for the test over a six month period (Important)
- Oh yeah, and I was wearing leather gloves (but that might have knocked a point off just for the principle)

I drive a Ford Explorer SUV, which is a rather large vehicle for me. I like it because I feel less intimidated when sharing the road with all the gas guzzling Hummers that the marines love to drive around here. I am curious to see what it would be like to drive a Smart Car even though those cars have just enough room for one other passenger and a backpack.

Clever!!!
Smartcars are cute as pie :)
The only car I'd really want to drive is something like a Lambourghini Countach. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one so I probably won't drive.:)

Posted at

I took my Driveing test on the 27th of december…. I sat in trafic for 45 minutes got my licence and swore to never drive again!
 Call Me TOM out.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Took me six tries to get my driver's license due to the parallel parking part.  It's a huge part of the test (apparently) because Guam's government district has so little parking and it's the only way to park there.

Of course, right after getting my license at 16 my mother forbade me from driving the car to high school and going out on dates…

tupapayon
tupapayon
Posted at

Lonnehart wrote:
Of course, right after getting my license at 16 my mother forbade me from driving the car to high school and going out on dates…
That sounds like an 80's movie…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.