Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Heeeey, Bravo you got that tank model I sent right man? Is it any good? ^_^

——————-

I prefer the OLD model of social neworking- forums like DD where people have discussions and share similar ideas and things, and even have arguments and debates. Facebook USED to be that way, a little, back in the early days.
Then membership EXPLODED and it became almost entirely about corproate created ads in the guise of viral memes being pased around and around and around forever…
Oh, plus people trying to show their social-cultural-group allegiances (be they political, religious, ethnic, sporting, whatever), in either passive agressive or full on agressive form.

Give me narcissistic selfies and "humble-bragging" any day.

tupapayon
tupapayon
Posted at

Facebook… I still argue sometimes in there… the posts I trully dislike (we don't have that button yet?) are the kind that would have, for instance, a picture of a sad, crying, little child. The message would be something like: "like and share if you agree to stop child abuse. Ignore if you don't care"… bastards!… I have to share it or else I'm an A-hole!!!… I dislike blackmail… I don't  negotiate with terrorists… er… blackmailers… whatever…

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

You know what I HATE most about social media? More than pics of cute puppies with “like me” written on them, more than a picture of a sunset with a horrible “inspirational” quote, even more than a fake poliical story someone is sharing because it made them mad and they haven't realised it's fake…What I HATE is people sharing links to things without ANY personal comments as to why. Basically RE-sharing some shit someome else posted that was designed by some media company just for that purpose in order to get people to look at their site so they can make money out of ads.   That would be bareable if only they had a personal contribution, or some comment on the content of the thing they share, some stated reason for presenting the world with their passive endorsement… And THAT is why Facebook is starting to suck more and more.
HEY! I do that, but usually with funny stuff that needs no explanation. 

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Heeeey, Bravo you got that tank model I sent right man? Is it any good? ^_^
——————-
I prefer the OLD model of social neworking- forums like DD where people have discussions and share similar ideas and things, and even have arguments and debates.
I prefer forums too. Used to love the stuff on the writers forums I was on. Now on FB everyone is so polarized and will unfriend you because of thier own ignorant and rigid world view. 
I got the model last week. It arrived, I put it in my workroom and promptly forgot about it. It's  under some other chinese labeled boxes with figure stuff in them.  Thank you so much here I am not being able to get to the Post Office and you send me this beautiful model. I won't bore you with the model-builder minutae that slammed the model for being all mis-measured. But there are 16 HVSS bogie units each of nearly 20 pieces with fiddly Photoetch hull connections and working springs. It's over 900 parts with all the center guides on the track seperate to allow for maximum detail. 

But it can make for a cool looking model. That is the kit below as built and photographed by master modeler Steve Zaloga. He avoided the dimensional issues by doing a what-if operational vehicle.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Cool! Love those double tracks and the sloped back. That tanks has a better back end than most sports cars.
If it's too much of a bum-pain to put togther (so many models are), you could always use it for props :)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I started out this week a day ahead on my readings, and now I'm three days behind. :( Why do I do this to myself? I'm trying out a new thing starting today where I time myself when I work and then stop the timer whenever I take a break, so I can't fool myself about how much time I spend distracted.

I just got my package today from a gift exchange I did through another online community. I went a bit over budget and put a lot of effort into mine, so I was trying to keep my expectations low for what I would get in return. But my exchange partner totally went above and beyond! She put a ton of effort into finding things I would like. It's like Christmas come early, I have so many new things to play with now. ^_^

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

tupapayon wrote:
Facebook… I still argue sometimes in there… the posts I trully dislike (we don't have that button yet?) are the kind that would have, for instance, a picture of a sad, crying, little child. The message would be something like: "like and share if you agree to stop child abuse. Ignore if you don't care"… bastards!… I have to share it or else I'm an A-hole!!!… I dislike blackmail… I don't  negotiate with terrorists… er… blackmailers… whatever…
Me too… it's one of those fake ways people use to convince themselves they care without having to do a damn thing…!  Hate, Hate, Hate these!!

Posted at

I am currently on Candy Duty for Halloween, which means I am too old to go trick-or-treatings and not out partying tonight. I am dressed as a green-haired gorgon witch and I'll know that my costume is a success once I make a toddler start crying.

Is anyone doing anything special for Halloween? Is anyone else on the Duck homebound for the next three hours? If so, let's party.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I was in a witch costume. My husband was the tenth Doctor and bro was the eleventh. After a while, when we saw so many teenagers, I had my brother get out a Nixon mask and a fedora and jump out at unsuspecting people.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Niccea wrote:

I was in a witch costume. My husband was the tenth Doctor and bro was the eleventh. After a while, when we saw so many teenagers, I had my brother get out a Nixon mask and a fedora and jump out at unsuspecting people.

Those look great Niccea!!

Well we dont really do Halloween here, BUT I was quackcasting with people that do… 
Ptface seemed to be doing the exact same stuff as you Kawaii! 
We were going to interview Hyena Hell… But she was a no show :( I'd dressed in my white tie get up too, very fancy, Fred Astaire style. In the end we did a 15 video instead because we're two Quackcasts ahead so we can stand to miss one… But the video didn't even work! D:

So there's no Quackcast and no record of my outfit either… The positive is that I can reuse that for another Quackcast vid at least, but I'm still a little disappointed that things didn't work out.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I was going to go to a party with a friend of mine last night, but forgot I had to do my practicum this morning and couldn't really be out late. So instead I just went to her house and watched Arsenic and Old Lace and handed out candy, and then I went home and she went to the party. The movie was great and I definitely enjoyed it more than I would have enjoyed a party. Has anyone else seen it? It's such a strange film - I have no idea how they got Cary Grant to be so goofy, and we were killing ourselves laughing the whole time. He's usually so "I'm experiencing emotions and I find it unpleasant, so I will grimace and yell my feelings at you."

Anyways, I dressed up as Maya Fey, spirit medium! My little sister went as Ema Skye.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

It's nice to see everyone celebrating Halloween.  I haven't celebrated the holiday for over fifteen years now…
Come to think of it, I haven't been able to celebrate any holiday much for those years.  I've always ended up working…

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Sad to hear you're unfamiliar with the goofy Cary Grant.  He first gained fame doing screwball comedies where he was often very silly. Bringing up Baby among others. One of my favorites is the adventure film Gunga Din where for once he plays a cockney which is what he really was. Good old Archibald Leach whosee best role was just playing himself. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I remember that film. Very weird to see him being himself.

Hippie that costume is cosplay and it's fantastic! 

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Cary Grant's best film arguably could be his totally against type turn as the agent in Hitchcock's Notorious. Which also featured Tantz Aerine… I mean Ingrid Bergman. The last few costume casts she has been unknowingly (or is it knowingly?) channeling Ingrid Bergman.

I have a DVD set of his very early films when he was a great goofy screwball comedy romantic lead. Good stuff to see how "Cary Grant" came about. He said that he only ever played one role that of "Cary Grant" in all his movies.  You know to segeway into the conversation about hapless heroes and "friends" the screwball comedy played on that trope a lot. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

He's pretty good in this accademy award acceptance speech here in 1970 as a healthy 66 year old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Zijgn-c9w

He's not ever really a hapless loser though, he's the oposite of that character. You look at him and just know he's like an electro babe-magnet… a reluctant one.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I love those early Cary Grant movies. I can't remember the name of
the one where he's at Potawatomi college - his comic timing is
brilliant. Reminds me of Clark Gable in a way. He was another heartthrob
who excelled in comedy roles.

Talking of people playing
themselves, here's someone you might be familiar with, in a very
atypical role, with what is reputed to be his original speaking voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri0B9rc_hv8

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's lovely, but I'm suspicious… I think he's acting. He does most words broardly in the right way for the accent but the lilts on the little connecting words are hoity, It reminds me of when I try and do an accent- I can get most words in the feel of it but I revert back to type on those connecting parts…

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
He's pretty good in this accademy award acceptance speech here in 1970 as a healthy 66 year old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Zijgn-c9w

He's not ever really a hapless loser though, he's the oposite of that character. You look at him and just know he's like an electro babe-magnet… a reluctant one.
Bringing up Baby. I was a Male War Bride. to name two moves where he played the hapless character.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
That's lovely, but I'm suspicious… I think he's acting. He does most words broardly in the right way for the accent but the lilts on the little connecting words are hoity, It reminds me of when I try and do an accent- I can get most words in the feel of it but I revert back to type on those connecting parts…

The thing is he switched to the upper class accent early on and it wasn't just for show. Those closest to him said he maintained it at all times, never letting it slip even in private. So by the time he did this part, reverting back to type meant reverting back to his assumed accent, with hisoriginal one not quite convincing any more.

It's a bit like where I grew up in the midlands. I moved form there over 25 years ago and although I retain certain parts of it, if I try to do the local dialect I grew up with, it sounds ridiculously fake.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That makes sense Scarf. Lots of British actors in the theatre did that apparently… Most of the old British TV shows and movies we got over here only had people talking in more stylised versions of the other accents (hahaha Carry On movies), which made Grange Hill pretty harsh on the ears… and East Enders was intollerable T_T
When the opening sounds on that damn theme came on after Dr Who it was time to turn off the TV and do ANYTHING else.

Strangley though, I loved Minder.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

So many subtle inflections and vowel pronunciation in dialect that once overcome it's very difficult to recapture. Not unless you never really lost it to begin with. Listen to Maureen O'Hara's inflections and there is always a slight Irish lilt. And then there is constant practice to overcome the flat inflection of Midwestern US dialect to do anything else. Even a born southerner once they adapt the flat inflection sounds fake reverting to the dialect they were born into.

Posted at

Ahem, Bravo! Born and raised at an early age in the US Midwest, I am very content with the sound of my accent. Flat it may be, it is a sought after accent according to linguistics majors.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Kawaii,  I have the same accent though in the Pennsylvania version. I was just noting how hard it is to catch the different vowel sounds or swallowed syllables if I want to do anything else. I'm told I can and have even fooled natives so I might be doing something right even if not so well traveled as some. I might just have a good ear for language which means I missed out on a great career as a linguist.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.