Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

WTF? Didn't even know he was ill!

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Me neither, came as a huge shock this morning. Such a shame, but he had a great career.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

What a start to 2016. He just released a new cd too.

My wife went and got her new car. It's a Honda and it's bigger than the Subaru was. So in the driveway  I am almost off on the grass.

Speaking of anniversaries today is the 4th anniversary of the end of my comic Mask of the Aryans . Which at over 200 pages has been the longest one so far. 

Posted at

@bravo- you transitioned from talking about David Bowie to your wife's new car that I thought David Bowie's wife, Iman, had purcased a new Honda.

I am feeling perplexed about David Bowie's death right now. It was definitely not news I was expecting to read after waking up at 1:00AM in the morning. When I googled his name, the headlines that come up are: David Bowie Dead: Legendary Artist was 69. I mean, rather appropriate age for the man, right? Some other thoughts in my head are: Ground Control to Major Bummer and The Goblin King has died. I will probably watch the ballroom scene from Labyrinth about ten times to honor his memory. "As the World Falls Down" is my favorite song from the soundtrack.

==

I know this is the rant and moan thread, but lately, the tides have turned in my favor and life has been pretty fantastic. I am currentIy in the middle of a six day work week and it is very possible that it might become a seven day work week in the near future. It turns out I am highly employable and I keep getting requests to take on additional work shifts on days I am not scheduled. I do not mind as long as I get paid. I love everything about my weekend job because I feel very appreciated by my coworkers. It is the kind of job that is physically exhausting, but I do not carry any emotional baggage home with me when I clock out.

I can deal with physical exhaustion much better than mental exhaustion because it is much easier to repair. To balance all the tiredness and kinks in my joints, I have been attending more yoga classes each week. My last session focused on restorative yoga and it turned out to be 75 minutes of sleeping in different positions while the instructor did some reiki techniques. It was essentially a structured nap time, but it kind of worked because I felt really energized the next day.

I have to report to work at 0600. I need to wake up at 0300 and be out of the house by 0440 to make it in time.

I am looking forward to my next real vacation.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Fixed. I should have put my wife. Hard to believe I have been married a year longer than Bowie and Iman. 

Your schedule is just like mine. Up at 0330 and out the door at 0510 to make 0600 start time. Or zero dark thirty. That was a military thing going back WW 2. Now it's the speedbump security guard. The first guy to die in the movie.

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
@bravo- you transitioned from talking about David Bowie to your wife's new car that I thought David Bowie's wife, Iman, had purcased a new Honda.

I have to report to work at 0600. I need to wake up at 0300 and be out of the house by 0440 to make it in time.

I am looking forward to my next real vacation.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

This thread is so much more than rants and moans, so don't feel guilty about discuss that things are good. embrace the hell out of that shit.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Some people just exude cool… and David Bowie was one of them!!  Hard to pic favorites (songs/movies…) with Guys like that, but I guess I like 'Under Pressure' (duet with Queen) for best song…  Movies are harder, but I still have images from 'The Man who fell to Earth' popping in from memory all the time, burned there long ago, into my childhood brain! ;)
Major Tom shall be missed!

Gunwallace
Gunwallace
Posted at

I wouldn't put it past him to return as Zombie Bowie, the Thinner, Whiter Duke. It just seems wrong that he's gone. The 'Berlin albums' are all over my playlists.

Posted at

"ZomBowies"

Alright, I bet the comic domain is still available on Drunk Duck.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
"ZomBowies"

Alright, I bet the comic domain is still available on Drunk Duck.
Featuring the characters Ziggy  Stardust,  Major Tom and Zombie Bowie with the spiders from Mars, and guest appearances by Iggy Popp and Freddie Mercury. And any other 1970s pop reference we can think of.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

It's been a long while since this happened, but there's a reason why I rinse out any rice I buy from the store.  Even if it's airtight sealed in a plastic bag.

I found rice weevels in the bag of brown rice I bought today.  I could take it back, but no.  Instead I do what I always do with rice.  I rinse it out.  Live bugs float to the surface.  The dead ones (probably died from suffocation) are harder to get, requiring me to fill the rice cooker pot with water and use my fingers to have the rice move around as they don't sink like rice does.

As for the eggs…  I just put it out of my mind.  It's impossible to get rid of the eggs and undeveloped larvae, so I just cook the rice and think of the extra protein I'm getting.  Hopefully those things don't have purines…  the very thing I'm trying to avoid due to having gout…

And I wouldn't be surprised if Zombie Bowie popped out of the rice I was cooking (in which case I'll take the pot to the nearest church and have it cleansed by a priest)…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Bowie died at 69 from cancer, which is the symbol for cancer ^_^

Posted at

That is such a fun nugget of information, Oz! I looked up cancer symbol right away.

I do think the number 69 for his age and the timing were no coincidence. Bowie's birthday was on January 8th when he released his CD. He died on Sunday, January 10th.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

The ultimate publicity stunt.  Obviously it wasn't intended to be as such. I wonder if he was holding on until it was released though. 
I'm taking a couple of days off from doing any comic work, yet find myself itching to get on with it.  Still my computer is miles away so I cannot. 

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

So sick. :( I wrote my exam yesterday, but was feeling pretty foggy-headed and it was a tough exam so I'm not sure how well I did.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

In Star Trek, Bajor is the planet full of religion and such.  Ever wonder what it looks like on the other side of the mirror?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDapmr5i4e4

And yes.  I somehow found this fascinating…  so fascinating that I ended up in the pool…  and I'll shut up now…

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I'm awake for the third time tonight, now with my throat absolutely killing me. It sucks that things don't just get pushed back when you're sick - I'm supposed to go to an awards night tomorrow (or rather tonight). I've already emailed the founder of one of my scholarships to let him know that I might be too sick to go, but I'll be disappointed if I can't make it. I haven't won any significant scholarships in previous years, and this is my last year before I graduate so I won't get another chance.

I really wish that I could take cold medicine, but it seems that all the things that are effective at fighting cold symptoms can also exacerbate anxiety. I find that a single panic attack can sometimes bring on a bit of a cluster and I haven't had an attack in months now, so I really don't want to risk that for the sake of a few hours' sleep. But then conversely, not getting enough sleep also makes me anxious.

I'm probably whining about this much too much. I'm really terrible at dealing with any kind of physical discomfort.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Have you tried seperate meds for each symptom? I  also have anxiety and I take allegra for the congestion and Tylenol for the aches and fever. But different things work for different people and you could be more sensitive to different things from me.  I  envy my wife just taking cold meds and I have to depend on my allergy medication. 

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Brutal, Hippie - hope you manage to get some sleep and feel better

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Have you tried seperate meds for each symptom? I  also have anxiety and I take allegra for the congestion and Tylenol for the aches and fever. But different things work for different people and you could be more sensitive to different things from me.  I  envy my wife just taking cold meds and I have to depend on my allergy medication.
The allergy medicine thing is a good tip! I was mainly dealing with a lot of coughing today. I ended up taking a half dose of cold medicine as a test. I was okay, so I took the other half. And then had a small anxiety attack a bit later. Guess we coulda seen that one coming! Although I think it may have been a combination of not feeling well physically and not having had enough sleep, not just the meds. I think I'll be returning to my regimen of tea, computer games and whining a lot just to be on the safe side. (Does anyone else play Civilization? I'm really bad at it.)

…also, I missed my awards thing. :(

On the plus side, people have been very nice about rescheduling for me. I postponed a Friday class and a Monday presentation with no issues.

I'm really pleased with how many people have been participating in the 54 Card Pick Up project! It seems to indicate that people are either looking at the forums or at my newsposts, or both.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

My holiday from work is coming to an end… Whaaaaaaaaaahhhh ;_;
I was jussssst getting my proper sleeping rhythm back! -where I can sleep in till 1pm like a civilised person. I have been that way since I was a teen but I just lost that in the last couple of years. When it comes to daylight I wake up and can't get to sleep again!
Buy now I have it back! 

Oh the everloving glory of spending all day dreaming away in bed! Such a beautiful thing. 
My big ginger horse-like tomcat curls up next to me, purring constantly, and that's SUCH a lovley incentive to keep on sleeping.

I'm worried work will mess that up and I'll be another day-dick again.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I wish I could get my body to sleep in like that. Eight-nine am and the body just can't sleep anymore. 

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.