Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

OMFG I am tired of dealing with unprofessional people F*****G bloody idiots!

2 today… I want talk about the first because you never know who reads this and I'd prefer to keep my job. :P

The second… These moron printers who do shirts.
I wanted to get a couple of shirts printed for my mum because she's going away for another pilgrimage walk on the Camino and this time she will be filmed as part of a documentary.
So I contact these people who claim to do small quantities of 1 or 2 with all sorts of fabrics…

First thing I hear from these morons is that NO, we only do a minimum of 5 now… Even though it says 1 or 2 on all their advertising. And the cost isn't $20 a shirt, now it's apparently $30. And they can ONLY do white in the fabric I want.

OK, I square that with my mum… she's prepared to pay $150 for 5 printed shirts.

I email the idiots with all my details and the file. I send it through their contact form on their site AND through my own email as well so I know they'll get it… All during business hours of course.

And of course they don't get back to me.
So I phone this cretin the next day… "Aw yeah, I was out of the office, just going through my emails now, just about to get back to you…" Yeah yeah, F**k off…
NOW it's a minimum of 10 because the he has to do some special digital transfer print on the fabric, can't to screen print and can't do normal digital prints…
Even though I bloody TOLD him what I needed exactly when he quoted me initially. NOW he has to DOUBLE the quantity and expect me to just go along with that?
No, go and die.

It's a simple two colour print, the most basic thing in the world. SOoooooooo simple to print on ANYTHING. I can design a logo that can be printed on virtually anything. That's my job. And he's throwing up these complications.

I won't ever work with that place again. I will make sure my business doesn't either and neither will our contacts.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

So Sunday things started getting odd in my left eye. At first I was seeing a fly that wasn't there and then a puddle in the bottom of the eye. We set up an appointment with the ophthalmologist for Monday.

"I have bad news, torn retina, I'll schedule surgery for tomorrow."

My detached retina in my right eye was February of 2017. Now March of 2018 and a torn retina in my left eye. My retinas are that thin and fragile because of of how seriously near sighted I am.

It was supposed to be twilight sleep but I was totally awake and aware for the procedure. You don't feel pain in the middle of the eye so it was kind of interesting even if absolutely terrifying. But the hip-hop music just had to go.

The left eye is swollen shut and there's putting ice and eye drops but looking at the computer is pretty difficult so my comic viewing and creating will be on hold for a while. Really, really annoying. Well, let's see what awful movies and documentaries I can find on YouTube this time —

lba
lba
Posted at

I just got kicked out of a bar for the first time in my life and I wasn't even drunk…

I was sitting, nursing my one pint I allow myself for the week while trying to work on a comic for the first time in a couple years and someone decided to look over my shoulder at the page and decided that they needed to change my worldviews. I was working on a comic that's losely based on my Army time and I kind of flew off the handle on them.

Granted, I probably should have picked a less touchy chunk of the story to work on, but why the hell would you need to go out of your way to bother someone who was minding their own business and try to push your viewpoint on them even after they tell you to drop it because they aren't interested in hearing "a reasonable, rational view" right now? Why are people so driven to stick their nose in every time they see someone working on something creative?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I"m back to lurking around here again. My new job has been great, but stressful. I really need to make a little comic page to illustrate it. I it would be a couple of panels on me trying to learn how to juggle balls, but then my boss would hand me chainsaws. Bitching aside, it really is a good work environment. My coworkers are friendly and like to have social get togethers on a regular basis and two of them have kids just a little older than my son. Since it is a small business of under twenty people, it is actually more family friendly than my last place and has all sorts of nice little perks. I also get a shared office rather than a cubical.

Posted at

Well, I have to get back to work in the morning. I'm a little groggy and a little sad from what happened this morning. But, my worries slightly voided when I am watching a Bob Ross video.

I was a little depressed this morning and slightly terrified about what I am about to do after I move out of my parent's house and all.

Everything else, I'm just writing to drown out negative things. But I think I might just walk to a park and mingle a bit.

Stayed out of national politics because….fuck politics.

And cooked buscuit sausages and cheese eggs – mmmmm.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

It is really really hard to stay under 1300 calories a day. So fat and hungry and fat. -_- Gotta fit in my uniform by May. (No job yet, but eh, call me an optimist.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

MegaRdaniels wrote:
I was a little depressed this morning and slightly terrified about what I am about to do after I move out of my parent's house and all.

Did you get kicked out or something?

————–

@Usedbooks- Snakes really mess up a diet. They're the worst part… you can easily exceed you daily allowance and not know it.
If you decide on all portions before hand and don't exceed that then you should be ok.

Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
MegaRdaniels wrote:

Did you get kicked out or something?

————–

@Usedbooks- Snakes really mess up a diet. They're the worst part… you can easily exceed you daily allowance and not know it.
If you decide on all portions before hand and don't exceed that then you should be ok.

Nah, I'm just making a decision to leave. It's scary but it's a step of growing up.

Lefekeb
Lefekeb
Posted at

?????????????

Found it going through my old files, made me chuckle. You have to open it in a new tab to read it.

Posted at

Well, my comic is back into production again unfortunately. Gotta create brand new buffer comics. Celtx works wonder for me. It used to be Microsoft Word 2016 but my computer went kaput on me. Now I'm just writing the script for the new pages in the middle of the night though.

Anyway, I'm going back to college soon. In the Fall to finish my Associates Degree before I head on to earn my Bachelors. Money can be hell sometimes in this economy.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Lefekeb wrote:
?????????????

Found it going through my old files, made me chuckle. You have to open it in a new tab to read it.
Ahhhh! ^_^

—————

Good luck Mega

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I changed my daily calorie goal to 1560. Should be sufficient but it's much more doable. I've managed to stay under for three days. I have been feeling a bit better and sleeping better. Aside from that, my hope is to fit into my uniform once I actually have a job. (I have a couple leads at the moment. One is my job last summer. The other is in the mountains.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good luck! Keep it up, no matter how tempting the food or how hungry you get. :)
Dieting is hard… It gets easier after a while but it's also SO easy to mess it up- just one slip.

———–

Listening to a performance of Anna Karenina on BBC 4 extra, and the pronunciation of "Moscow" is jarring!
It's a British cast but for some reason they use the American pronunciation and are extra hard on the second syllable: "Mos-COW", instead of the British version "Mos-cOh', which is much more like the Russian and international versions.
Why would they say it like that? It's so weird to hear it.

It's basically like they break into an American accent to say that one word.

lba
lba
Posted at

Speaking as someone who has tortured their body with weeks at a time of Ranger school and eating less than 1,000 calories a day, wearing half their own body weight and sleeping less than 2 hours a night, I'm going to give you my un-professional opinion and give "advice" to tell you that if you're aiming to lose weight and keep it sustainable, you're perfectly fine to eat 1,800 to 2,000 calories a day. I'm writing it as "advice/directions" just because talking to myself that way worked for me.

Your body is burning around 800-1,200 a day by just existing doing basic functions, even with a sedentary lifestyle. Focus on building up your activity level and eating more un-processed fruits and veggies for their filling effect, while maintaining 1,800-2,000 calories a day. You'll lose weight at a slower pace, but you'll be able to keep it off with less effort, stress and fewer relapses into junk food and sitting around. If you try to go all-out and cut calories to less than 1,800 while upping your activity level drastically, you'll make it maybe a week tops before you end up binging on pizza and setting yourself back to square one because your body still understands the world in caveman mode and assumes that you just couldn't find food and now need to rebuild fat stores to survive another famine. Weight loss is all about understanding that your body hates the idea of starvation, which is what it is, and trying to break it into the process and gently and slowly as is possible. 3-5 pounds per month is considered the sustainable rate for a reason.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Thanks. I've been through this before. I have a kinda specific diet (which is kinda tricky because I'm crashing with my parents, and they have different health issues with different dietary needs.) I just really need to fit in my uniform. I have a decent app that helps me track nutrition. And now I have a time limit. Once I have my annual allowance from work, I'll order at least one set at a size larger. (Although I take some small pride in wearing the same uniform for 5, going on 6, years.)

(I HATE even mentioning that I'm counting calories because every person on the planet has some diet opinion they insist on telling me. Don't need advice. Thank you. I've got this. – Having lost 70 lbs, I find I have to resist the urge to offer my experience to others as well.)

ANYWAY, I just formally accepted a seasonal position to start in May. I got the job offer a few days ago and have since been stressing like crazy trying to arrange housing. Just another annual annoyance. :P (Pain in the butt trying to come up with the money to move my camper and pay for all the initial fees for a place to park it – when I haven't worked in 5+ months.) I have the weirdest "rut" of sorts. This year, I get to work in the mountains, and I'm kinda excited about it because I am not a beach person.

Still hoping to find a permanent job and applying for every one I have any hope in being selected for. But glad for the seasonal gigs. It's something. (Plus, I managed to change my student loan debt to salary-based repayment – which means I can defer payment without accruing interest for as long as my income sucks.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Checking 320 custom shaped USB flash drives for viruses is insane.
I'm almost finished.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

It's a terrible time to be an RVer in Virginia (but a great time to own a campground). There are multiple pipeline construction projects in the area and every campground and mobile home park is filled to capacity.

I am giving up and changing strategy to look for pet-friendly short term rentals. (I hate renting. I hate every aspect of renting. That's why I got the camper. -_- )

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I hate pipelines. Guy after guy after guy come in to mark the ground for the same things again and again, so there are sprayed stripes and little flags all over all the lawns and parking lots.

Then everybody comes in to look at the ground. Carloads of engineers who who can't find an address on a map who are supposed to figure out all these projects. So very comforting to know that all these smart guys can barely read a map to find an address are plotting complicated pipelines. I love it when they come in with their complicated technical map of the whole line – and it's upside down.

And the dumb moron security guard turns it right side up and just says "First step of map-reading and land navigation sir is to properly orient the map to the terrain."

And like they're the engineer and you're the dummy. They were officers. The most dangerous thing in the field? A lieutenant with a map.

But you know it is one of the few times in the industry you see actual living and breathing women. They're usually the smart ones you only have to explain things to once. We need more women in industry.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The funny think is that when you have a few of a subgroup (women in this case) that have to work harder to fit in because of the prevailing culture (majority white males etc), they WILL be the smart ones because they're overachievers to start with and they're trying harder…
BUT, as they become normalised in an industry those traits vanish and they become the same as the previous group. -because they don't need to be overachievers to get in anymore and they don't have to try harder to stay in.

So, more women = they become the same as the men.

Revert to the mean. XD

-Though you will always have the one or two standouts, regardless of gender.

———————–

I'm going into a cosplay comp tomorrow!!!! In my hussar gear,
Made a wooden sabre and a snazzy new corssbelt so the antique ine will stay safe at home.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

So few women in technical fields it's going to take a long time before they become as half-assed as the men are.

Same thing in business and government. So few, that when you across an effective one, she's truly a stand-out. Like Melanie Willougbhy. (feel free to google her. She's freaking incredible. She got all the good genes, by the time I was born there was nothing left but a few threads of artistic talent)

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

So true. If you have to work twice as hard for a position, you'll automatically be top of the class.

I put down a deposit on an apartment today. Going to have to sign a year's lease, so I'm going on faith that I can find work after my NPS job ends in fall. Having both a cat and dog limited my choices (and increased the costs), but I found a pretty neat place. No central AC, so I'll be living old school but it's worth the trade-off for the other features. It's an old art deco style building, maybe 1930s.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.