Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Yeah. It really stands out. The leasing agent took me to four apartments in different buildings. The others were more modern, but this one felt more like home.

Katch
Katch
Posted at

Guess who's thumbnailing comics again?
THIS GUY
er…girl
yup
me

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Yay for thumbnailing again!

usedbooks wrote:
Yeah. It really stands out. The leasing agent took me to four apartments in different buildings. The others were more modern, but this one felt more like home.
That looks great! Glad you found something with that elusive feel to it. Gut feelings are everything when it comes to the space you call home.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Great old building! Central air is overrated unless your wife gets hot flashes. Then nothing is ever cold enough.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

It's definitely not a deal-breaker. In the dorms, I wasn't even allowed a window unit. (I kept fans going like a wind tunnel.) Then I rented a big old 3-story house with a few of my friends. It had no heat or AC upstairs, so we made due with personal space heaters and window air conditioners. It was a wonderful house.

I like colder temperatures, especially after working outside all day, but I'm both flexible and resourceful.

In July last year, the temperature was too much for my camper's system. The AC blew the breaker while I was at work, and I came home to a dog in heat distress. -_- So I am glad to be out of the camper, even if it costs more.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Katch wrote:
Guess who's thumbnailing comics again?
THIS GUY
er…girl
yup
me
Welcome back guy :)

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

NPS is on the ball this year (or Blue Ridge Parkway is). I already have access to the uniform store along with an allowance. I ordered essential components (shirt, trousers, and belt) a size larger than my current wardrobe.

(I tried on my current uniform, and it's just a couple inches too small around the waist. I can close the trousers – but I can't sit down. Lol. I still have two weeks, but no guarantee they'll fit by then.)

So, I should be set one way or the other. I'm exactly the same level of "too big" that I was at the end of the season last November. It'll be nice to have a larger back-up uniform for the "fluffy" days. I fully intend to get back into my older uniform comfortably, though. I'm too cheap not to make use of that investment.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Speaking of changing sizes-
My cat Simon who's 18 this year and who I thought was going to die at the end of last year, is getting really fat in the middle now!
Around Christmas he had lost all his body mass and he was ravenously hungry. I thought he had cancer because that's one the signs.
Anyway, he has always been a stocky, chunky cat, with a wide square face, a big wide chest and thick arms. But then he was all ribs and I could feel his spine, all the muscle and fat went and his body was just a big wide head and chest and big arms but with nothing to fill up the space in there :(

So I brought him inside and kept him in there, feeding him 4 times a day with whatever he wanted to eat.
NOW he's really wide in the belly. I can STILL feel his ribs and spine but he's fat. I'm pretty sure that's because what pads the ribs at the flanks and spine on the back is muscle and not fat.

I'm really not sure what to do… Honestly.
He's old and I'd like him to be as happy as possible and if eating makes him happy then that's good.
Also when you're older you NEED those fat reserves to help you weather periods of illness.
I don't want to feed him into an early grave though… or feed him so full he has trouble moving, which he's starting to.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I don't worry about the weight of super elderly animals. Keep them fed and hydrated. My last really old cat got kinda bloat looking in the belly at 19+. She had never been overweight in her entire life to that point (always indoors, never active). I have a feeling it wasn't fat but was her organs being weird. I have an elderly rat (2 1/2 years, which is really old for a rat) that is the same way.

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

It might be a thyroid issue. One of my cats has this issue. She is on medication for her thyroid for the rest of her life. She got that hungry period and the meds stopped it. Just don’t miss the dose cause she reverts back to hungry-hungry munch munch time. Ask your vet.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Getting old and the health issues that go with it suck. Being a fat bastard really doesn't help matters either. Now I'm forced to radically change my diet or I won't last much longer.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I had to change mine due to a tendency to collect cholesterol. The trick is to find alternatives you really enjoy to the things you need to cut back on, but that will usually end up costing you more. I love nuts and dried fruit but they are sadly not cheap as chips.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

My bad cholesterol is a touch high, but my good cholesterol is higher, so I balance out. My doctor wanted to put me on medication a while back so I changed my diet. Need to change it again as I'm eating too many cookies. (Am. English, From the Dutch and German kuche. First appears in print near the end of 18th Century. Many different words between British and American English can be traced to Dutch and German immigrants as well as the Anglophone Noah Webster)

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I changed my diet years ago due to kidney stones. Went vegetarian for a while. Now I stick to no more than 8 oz animal protein in a day. I also stopped drinking tap water completely (bottled only now, which seems snobbish, but kidney stones are TERRIBLE). Haven't had a stone since.

Oh, and I had to give up almost all ice cream. Turns out the "gums" that EVERY brand uses to make them creamy is something my body outright refuses to accept as edible. Only brand without it is Hagan Daazs, which I can't afford. (Also, Wendy's Frosties are fine, so I sometimes buy a large one and keep it in the fridge to scoop like store-bought ice cream.)

It sucks how much bodies stop cooperating with us as time goes on.

Oh, and my cat has a heart condition, so that's a thing now. She's only 8, but she's had a murmur for years (and asthma since she was a kitten) and scared me to death last week when she was anesthetized for a dental cleaning. No more anesthesia for her.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Bodies DO stop cooperating as you age :(
I'm lucky that I still look younger than I am, but internally I'm exactly my age! XD

These days I have to watch what I eat. NEVER had to do that when I was younger. I ate everything, as much as I wanted. Now food punishes me.

But then when I was younger I never used to casually buy bags of chips or chocolate bars because I considered it a waste of money or something… I only started that in my early 30s I think.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

I swear… I swear… I'm gonna grow old gracefully, but damn those younger years, when the body was on cruise-control, sure were nice!!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Since I tend to get many age related conditions early (diverticulitis at 35, cataracts at 50) I should be past everything by the time I'm 70 which should give me a few years to be healthy before my passing.

But by then we'll probably have panimmunity, transhumanism and socialized free medicine so I can just get the mind uploaded to a cyborg and keep on going.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

@used books, argh kidney stones are awful, and I've only ever had the one.

I'm having to go gluten free and cutting out pretty much anything greasy, which will be fine once I've adjusted to the new diet but fir now I'm craving all the things I can't eat.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:I'm having to go gluten free
Unless you were born a coeliac I don't think that will do a thing for you.
Cutting out greasy food will help your liver though.

———-

I have a damn cold -_-

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I've had bursitis in my hip since I was a teenager. It made giving birth tons of fun. You know you are messed up when your hip hurts more than labor.

I think I've been ageing rather gracefully. I've turned 30 this year and I look pretty much the same as ever just heavier. I've been looking about the same for the past 20 years or so.

Been fortunate to not have any conditions develop, yet but I'm sure they will happen eventually. Just glad to have normal blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol. I've given up on getting my BMI down to "normal" I would have to lose way to much and be at a weight that, frankly to me, isn't healthy.

Posted at

Hey, folks…long time listener, first time caller….

How is everyone doing?

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Ah a new face. Hello. Can't speak for others but I'm good.

The gluten free diet is making me feel much better. Feel more human than I have in about a year.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

rainingbells wrote:
How is everyone doing?

Fine thanks, apart from this annoying cold that's making me so tired. Turns out I got it from our admin ozoneocean and since we are on opposite sides of the planet, it must be one of those internet viruses you hear about. Anyway, pleased to meet you at last!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
Fine thanks, apart from this annoying cold that's making me so tired. Turns out I got it from our admin ozoneocean and since we are on opposite sides of the planet, it must be one of those internet viruses you hear about. Anyway, pleased to meet you at last!
Ya, it's a computer virus… you're going to have to install MaCaffee on yourself XD

rainingbells wrote:
Hey, folks…long time listener, first time caller….

How is everyone doing?
Hey man! It's been ages! How have you been doing?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.