Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

In as much as I would love to participate in this year's awards, I almost feel kind of biased and gross picking out which categories I'd like to see my own comic be nominated for . . . it'd be like voting for myself, which just isn't very ethical. I don't know, I just feel like it should be up to whoever reads my comic, or even the community in general, to decide which categories they think it might could be nominated for - it's all subjective anyway.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
In as much as I would love to participate in this year's awards, I almost feel kind of biased and gross picking out which categories I'd like to see my own comic be nominated for . . . it'd be like voting for myself, which just isn't very ethical. I don't know, I just feel like it should be up to whoever reads my comic, or even the community in general, to decide which categories they think it might could be nominated for - it's all subjective anyway.
Think about the press kits that studios put out for their movies before awards season. You can be quiet and just remind people to look at your comic. Nothing else. Or you can do pure shameless self promotion and go over everything that makes your work worth a bucket of warm spit.

Think of it not as promotion but as a resume or a portfolio. Anyone going to hire you for a commission without a sampling of your work? You want a job, you gotta sell it. You don't, welcome to unemployment. This is my work. If you think it's worth it, vote for it.

It's also a way to have fun boosting your ego. Real life Mental health professionals recommend it to improve self worth. "I feel my work is absolute garbage and not worth anything but if I go out and sell it maybe I'll start believing in it's worthwhile too." Positive self talk is psychological parlance.

Do the fyc, if for nothing else, to prove to yourself your work is worthwhile. Just a physical reminder of why you do this and maybe someone will remember your work. You have to be in it to have a chance. But if they're not reminded, they won't remember. Therefore you can wallow in your lack of self esteem and beat yourself up to your hearts content because you didn't even try.

Now quit your bitching and participate. You're guaranteed to not get anything just sitting there talking about ethics. Doesn't make you better than anyone. That's just rationalization. Some of us out here have been in therapy and gone on about this stuff with professionals so we know all the angles.

Yes, it's all subjective but validation of effort is a thing and you won't know anything about how an audience feels your work is worth if you don't try.

And sometimes I wonder how I keep getting nominated for that "most supportive reader " award every year. Won't know until you try.

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

It's just a bit of fun activity, nothing more and nothing less. You put your comic banner and link in your signature so readers can check out your comic, didn't you? It's like that.

Prepare for disappoint though, you're going to lose. Competition is too fierce. (PROVE ME WRONG… WIN EVERY AWARD!)

Posted at

I've learned the hard way over the years that shamelessly promoting yourself or your work does nothing but piss people off and make enemies for you, because they see it as you desperately crying for attention, which just turns people away rather than lure them in . . . and if they are lured in, it's just so they can dislike-bomb you and tell you how much you suck. I've dealt with this anytime I've tried speaking out about the struggles of smaller content creators on YouTube, how we're never able to build up audiences or keep them, because the algorithms are fixed to steer almost all traffic to the bigger channels like PewDiePie or MrBeast (whatever the hell he does) or any of these countless talking heads who do nothing . . . and they're always begging and pleading for more subscribers in all of their videos, but if little guys like us ask for more subs, again, here come the dislike bombs and the whole, "You suck, that's why nobody likes your stuff, stop crying for attention" spiel.

So this is why I never advertise or promote - it's gotten me nothing but trouble; I've even had entire communities turn on me because of it.

But if you guys are cool with it, I guess I'll study the categories a little more thoroughly and see which ones I think my comic could be nominated for. I already do have an At the Therapist scene in my head, so might as well do something with it.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

This isn't YouTube. We're fine with it and some affirmation and promotion might do you some good.

Consider it a motivational exercise.

Othosmops
Othosmops
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:

On the one hand, I agree with you: I also don't like to tell others which category they should like my comic in. And that's why I don't.
On the other hand, I share Bravo's positive attitude towards this showcase. My heroine Giselle loves glamour. She looks forward to strutting down the red carpet and knocking back the bubbly with all the other shining lights from the community. (And maybe there's more coming after the after-show party?)
But she doesn't really care about the prizes. What should she do with them in this wretched, underground IMMP training center in Kazakhstan? And the trophies are too heavy to take along on a Mars flight anyway.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

You don't have to put in what categories you want to be nominated for on a FYC page, but many people opt to do so. I prefer to think of them like a movie poster.

I have found many new comics to read just by participation in the lead up events alone.

Posted at

I decided to full-edit this comment. As much as I feel it was this crap I needed to get out of my head and out in public so I could get it into perspective, I got sick of reading it after a while. Bottomline. Do FYC because it's fun to do. This ain't YT.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

There is still plenty of time to get your FYC pages in they have been going strong and I have been able to upload one a day from day one.

Posted at

ATM, I still have the red carpet submissions on my to-do list, but they shouldn't be too difficult; I'm just trying to figure out what sort of formalwear I'd like to draw my characters in.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Personal life has me real busy through the end of this month, so I'm not going to be terribly responsive for a while. There will be a period of time were I will not have access to internet. So, if you haven't submitted an FYC yet and you want to guarantee that it will be released by the end of the month, please get it to me no later than May 26th. I'll make sure to get the Design The Awards contest started up before I go off the grid.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Voting for the Trophy Design contest is now open. The awards ballot will be open in about 4 days. Get excited people!

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

The day is finally here!!! The 2023 Awards ballot is open. Vote Here

Also…I need Presenters and Judges!!! Please consider volunteering. Judges have join our Awards Discord Server

If you want to volunteer, post here, PQ me, or see the channel in Discord.

Posted at

Before I fill out a ballot, I still have another question (yeah, sorry for being such a n00b to all this): I know we just went through the FYC phase, but even so, are there like any "official nominees" for the various and sundry categories, or is it strictly the comics that we individually want to vote for in said categories?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
Before I fill out a ballot, I still have another question (yeah, sorry for being such a n00b to all this): I know we just went through the FYC phase, but even so, are there like any "official nominees" for the various and sundry categories, or is it strictly the comics that we individually want to vote for in said categories?

It is a completely open ballot. FYC is just advertisements. You can vote for any comic you want for any category as long as it isn't your own.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

The Drunk Duck Awards still needs volunteers (and votes)!

There have been a few ballots submitted so far so it is anyone's game. If my computer will cooperate with me, I plan on making some banners using the winning trophy designs that people can put in their signatures or in their authors notes to direct people to the awards or ballot. If someone beats me to the punch, I won't be upset. (hint hint)

We have many of the usual suspects already volunteer, but we still need more people. We don't want a repeat of 2020 where bravo1102 did half the presentations. Don't be afraid to sign up to judge either. It really isn't as much of a time suck or a stress as you would think.

As of right now I still have 22 presentation slots open. (And that is with a couple of people already saying they will do multiple). If you have time coming up in July/August to make page, please consider volunteering!!!

Judging is a little more complicated, but each judge starts with 3 categories to weigh in on, and they can take on more if they wish. We can take on up to 11 new judges before we can do away with the 3 category per judge minimum.

Please let me know if you are interested in helping the awards in any way.

Posted at

That many slots still open? I guess a DD newsletter would come handy for those that don't necessarily read the forums, blogs. Feel free to sign me up for some judging as well, considering it's more, than a month I should be able to have the time to read relevant works and discuss them.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

InkyMoondrop wrote:
That many slots still open? I guess a DD newsletter would come handy for those that don't necessarily read the forums, blogs.

Try my best. I don't have a short form social media account and anything I put in the Facebook group shows up on my personal fees for all my 'friends' to see. Leads to some awkward questions.

Posted at

Niccea wrote:
InkyMoondrop wrote:
That many slots still open? I guess a DD newsletter would come handy for those that don't necessarily read the forums, blogs.

Try my best. I don't have a short form social media account and anything I put in the Facebook group shows up on my personal fees for all my 'friends' to see. Leads to some awkward questions.

You can make a new a page for your creator persona and join the group with it. So only the followers of that page would see it in their feed. But I was thinking more generally for DD staff to send out an e-mail newsletter once every 1-3 months about important events and changes on the site people could participate in. It's not the same as getting spammed every day or week and ppl can unsubscribe at any time, but it'd still reach creators and readers who aren't typically active, yet could have the spare time for something like this.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

The Drunk Duck Awards still needs volunteers (and votes)!

There have been a few ballots submitted so far so it is anyone's game.

As of right now I still have 12 presentation slots open. We can take on up to 10 new judges before we can do away with the 3 category per judge minimum.

Please let me know if you are interested in helping the awards in any way.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.