Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Christianity shouldn't be blamed for those. Most of the time it's becouse they don't have enough budget for 'way cool special effects', good actors, or even a decent script writter.
Christian film companies are so poorly funded :(

There's good movies made on low budgets. Faith is not equal to talent. Just ask Ron L. Hubbard – er nevermind. He's dead.

Oh wait. Cliches.

How about in the zombie flick, everyone dies. I found this particularly amusing in 28 weeks later, when you see the international forces have at least one tank on Great Britain, yet after the zombies attack, supposedly everyone is dead.

What do zombies do to a tank besides gum up the treads? Make it a … zombie tank?

Posted at

I hate:

Cop: You killed my partner! Now i'm going to kill you! But i'm going to loose everything doing it!

Bad Guy: Thats cool, we both have guns, but we will kung fu fight at the end!

Posted at

I hate:

Cop: You killed my partner! Now i'm going to kill you! But i'm going to loose everything doing it!

Bad Guy: Thats cool, we both have guns, but we will kung fu fight at the end!

So what did you think of the end of Equilibrium? Kung Fu *with* guns! There were even katanas. It was a ninja dream :neenjah:

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I love the friend of the protagonist that is working for the villain all along, double-crosses the protagonist, or turns tail and runs away when the chips are down – and then reappears (or switches allegiances or reveals he was always a loyal friend…) to rescue the protagonist near the end.

I hate the character that is like the aforementioned or is evil throughout the story but changes his ways near the end, only to die – either saving the protagonist or after all is said and done (like the last action of a dying villain is to kill them). Actually, a dying villain killing someone in his last breaths is just irritating.

Posted at

Now, some of the older stories did that too, but the fact is they DID it first*, they did it well, and they sort of got all they could out of the idea. But most of the books that came after STILL trod that path, and they probably still are treading it right now , but I wouldn't know because I don't read them any longer :P

*When I say they did it first, they were just reinventing classic stories from religious mythology like Ragnarock, Armageddon etc. The trouble is that those who came after just redid the versions found in fantasy classics so it's a degraded copy.

Awww, Ozone…! Does that mean you won't ever read my book, and miss out on all the social struggle and political intrigue I have poured out without measure in there, just because I have chosen a fantasy setting for my allegory? I feel so… bereft! :(

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Awww, Ozone…! Does that mean you won't ever read my book, and miss out on all the social struggle and political intrigue I have poured out without measure in there, just because I have chosen a fantasy setting for my allegory? I feel so… bereft! :(
:P I could still :)

Posted at

:P I could still :)

Heh. I can hope again! I think you'd like it, is all.

roma
roma
Posted at

Favorite:
Something explodes and everyone survives but the villain looses and eye.

When tech guys are typing shit on the keyboard while on the screen the mouse icon is moving all over the screen and clicking things. How hardcore do you have to be to do that?!

Gundam when the good guy is fighting in his robot and and every one is firing at him and all that happens is things bounce off and the most that happens is that the robot looses an arm or leg but he shoots a single laser at one of the other robots and they immediately explode into a rainbow of death that also blows up the other robots too. what are they just made out of dynamite?

Hate:
Multicultrural rainbows…hey look its a Black guy, Asian girl, native American and 2 white guys (maybe and Australian or Russian) all on the same team.

The mix match consoles like an N64 controller plunged into an xbox while they are plying metriod prime or some other game not made for that console. And the one there they are playing a racing and they are pressing all the buttons like mad and you Only see the car turn left.

Posted at

Fave: The superhero always getting the good looking girls

Hate: Always the black guys dieing first in films

TitanOne
TitanOne
Posted at

I hate Horror movie trailers with little girls signing songs.

LOL! Yeah, what is it with the Evil Little Girls now?

My least favorite movie cliche is using reunions with long-lost fathers to pump up the heartstrings factor. 'Pirates of the Caribbean' wallowed in it, in the third film. It was an original idea with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker—it's become a cheap movie cliche ever since.

TitanOne
TitanOne
Posted at

Oh yeah–I need a good cliche I like.

-Laser beams that make noise in space! Think about it. Lasers do not make noise even in the air, let alone the vacuum of space. But it's fun.

-Second choice: Anything James T. Kirk did to avert disaster and snatch victory from the jaws of almost certain defeat–especially in the ship-to-ship battles. He was the only ST captain, seemingly, who could do this really well.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Good cliché: Any obvious movieref in any movie, as long as it's overly used. Like "I'm your father!" and such.

Bad cliché: Girls in movies who prefer to act like a comlete 'tard and just ognore the guy they've been chasing after, after one slight hick-up, rather than just listening to their explanation. Of course, that would end the movie half an hour earlier, but come on…listen to the damn guy, he had his reasons!

This goes vice versa too, btw.

Posted at

FAVORITE:

When the villain and hero are portrayed as opposites of each other.

The killer who doesn't talk or change facial expressions. It's just so creepy. This is one of the reasons that I think Mr. X from RE2 was a scarier monster than Nemesis from RE3.

LEAST FAVORITE:

When people are forced to live in difficult conditions for years, but in all those years of struggling for survival, they have managed to retain perfect teeth and perfect skin.

When the plot is set in a school, but no one ever does any schoolwork.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Least favourite:

"Shall I explain that attack I just did? You know, the one I charged up for, like, twelve minutes while you were doing nothing about it? No, you don't? Tough, it's flashback time."

Favourite:

Cars explode on contact.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

My fav cliche: Handgun kung fu. Equilibrium didn't do it first. For me personally, Point Blank Assassin did it first, and awesomely. The fight between Shinji and Cleaver Boy made me a fan for life.

Hate cliche: Heroes/villains who never go away. Comic books, in other words. #1 reason why I hate all American comic books. Why bother reading when you know no one, not even the 3rd-rate-villain, is ever in danger? No, seriously.
And when one of them do die, it's a ****ing major event. And you think, "Gee there goes the element of surprise. Why do I still want to read it, now?"

I thought it'd be funny to have a movie or book/comic/whatever where the henchmen (although they look the same) aren't pawns, and any given one can kill the main character as easily as vice versa. That's realism for ya.
QFT. Replace "funny" with "how it's done."

Here's my list (I know that some of these were mentioned earlier.)
Loves:
The fish out of water story. Especially when its done with a good script.
Time travel/ Dimensional travel.
The strong-willed and intelligent female character.
The partners or team that have to work together to save the day despite the fact that they hate each other.

Yay you should read my 2 comics.

Yeah, the final fight cliche is cool, but I also like the whole cliche of a "big bad" in general. I mean, it works a lot of the time, what with the Emperor in SW, or a villain like the Joker. There can be shades of gray in many characters, but every so often it's good to have a character who IS pure evil.

Yes, despite all the "Your villain should be complex/3D/have reasons/etc" in the "How To Make A Villain" thread, there's just something archetypal about Big Evils. I liked TPM in that he's the Big Evil but he works completely under the radar.

And the one there they are playing a racing and they are pressing all the buttons like mad and you Only see the car turn left.
LOL, it's REALLY embarassing when the actors are young guys or even kids, y'know, ppl who logically should know they're looking like 'tards doing that. At that point I have zero respect for them as characters and as actors, as in "LOLMG you ****heads ain't gamers."

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

Psychotic freak-outs, if you consider that a cliche.

When a character gets bitched around for a while, only to end up going super badass and beating the hell out of/killing his enemies. I'm sorry, I normally like this. Though this may go in the same category as freak-outs…

Dislikes:
Okay, I can handle one special transformation…but no more than that.

A story set in Japan for no reason, or with Japanese elements like sailor uniforms or briefcases in school, Japanese names/sounding names, ect.

Characters who do nothing to defend themself when they are capable, and just cry or whine.

A battle between two people that is dragged out for chapters.

Back and forth gloating/speeches from two fighting characters. Or bad guys that talk too much in general.

When they make the main hero over god-like.

I'm not very strict about my dislikes though. I read comics with some of those cliches still.

Posted at

well a cliche I love is as the first poster said;

A cliche I love the final duel. Two epic opponents come speak their final good-bye and go into one on match from which only one walks away from.

one I HATE happens in most animes. there's a girl and a boy. the girl wears skimpy clothing and the boy is too freaking polite for his age. they fall in love. a death of one of the two's loved ones causes either of the two to seek comfort from the other, they kiss. the one who killed this said relative is a disturbingly-feminine demon of some sort.

basicly I hate anything like inuyasha.

Posted at

a cliche i like is:

random violence.

i watched the entire titanic movie for when the funnel crushes the guy.

a cliche i hate is:

those stupid rapper movies where white people are "stupid".

racism goes both ways.

another one i hate is bitchy "girlfriend"
that one is annoying.

Posted at

fave cliche-Stoic hero who is badass

least fave cliche-soo many, but overeager main character

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

- The power upping. "Haha… you never seen my ultimate technique and I'm just warming up!!!"

- The hero wins a fight because of either:
a) a new philosophy
b) inspiration from his girlfriend… or someone else telling him to get up and fight… or do not die… blablabla.
c) everything is much clearer now

- The underdog. The hero always has to be the underdog and still manages to win. That kind of stuff is inspirational. Like the Rocky Balboa movies… or everytime they make a movie based on a historical or ongoing war where the protagonists are facing overwhelming odds. As in… from a tactical perspective, the protagonists shoulda losed… like being outnumbered or outgunned… but due to the heroic feats of the main protagonist, the enemy was forced to retreat.

- Any form of drama during a fight.

- humanizing the villain (NARUTO!!!).

- When the hero or any important character gets hit… its always in a non-fatal area… or someone or some circumstance saves them. Then if ever they die from a fatal hit, they get to say 2 pages of script worth of drama.

Dislikes

- The lies about romance. If anybody takes any of that crap spouted in romance movies/comics seriously, you're in for the big surprise when its YOUR turn…

- Psychopathic bitches made out to look cool. Like wtf. I have no problem with "strong women" or women being the hero… but theres a difference between strong and being plain evil while being made to look like cool shit. Beating up guys for shallow reasons like being in the wrong place at the wrong time is funny at first but too much of it gets annoying.

lol I guess I like too many cliches.

giadrosich
giadrosich
Posted at

One of the Worst: The "It's your destiny" sort of storyline. If it is their destiny, what is the point of the movie/story?! We all know how it's going to turn out! I like there to at least be the possibility of faliure…

One of the Favorite: Rednecks with guns. Gotta love people whose IQ's are lower than the caliber of bullet they are using. You know, the kind of plot where they die a horrible death right after saying "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Posted at

Favourite Cliche
I'm a One Piece fan - it's practically a given that I love the cliche of the hero being beaten and bloodied and DEAD on the ground, and then getting up one last time and you KNOW he's going to win because he's just that stubbornly badass. (I am of the opinion that One Piece does this well. Other shounen-anime are…. somewhat ridiculous about it; One Piece is ridiculous all the way, which makes it more natural :P)

Most Hated Cliche
Designated Love Interest. Oh my god, the Designated Love Interest. This goes hand in hand with my hatred of flat and stereotypical characters, but the Designated Love Interest is the worst - he or she (most often a she) has NO other function but to fall in love with the hero, and be someone for the hero to fall in love with. She has no impact on the plot, doesn't contribute anything of worth, and is just there to be a pretty face. Gah! *sporks*

Mutation
Mutation
Posted at

I have a few favorites and hates,

Favorite Cliches: When in a yaoi pairing the one that takes top has longer hair. XD It's so wackily true.
When a character has a single, in the background flaw, that in the end screws them over.
When there is some ancient race that killed itself off.

Least favorites: When the main character is a clutz with no backbone, in both guys and girls. (Idiotic stubborn idealist is okay though.)
When there is a bad backstory to the villian. Ugh, Captin Vertigo.
When no one on the hero side dies.

imshard
imshard
Posted at

Favorite cliche:

I play video games,therefore I am a violent person. (i like it because its amusing)

Least favorite: You have to be socially defunct and/or ugly to work in computers.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

the Designated Love Interest is the worst - he or she (most often a she) has NO other function but to fall in love with the hero, and be someone for the hero to fall in love with. She has no impact on the plot, doesn't contribute anything of worth, and is just there to be a pretty face. Gah! *sporks*

Like that chick in Transformers? This is like the exact description of her role in that movie. Besides the obvious 'pulling in male viewers' thing, of course.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.