Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:
The Twitter stuff is so silly. People's reactions are a little over the top, aren't they?
No, they're really not. Already, Elon Musk is living up to exactly what he promised, in allowing hate speech to thrive and spread throughout the platform again, not to mention he has been attacking and even banning people who say anything that happens to piss off his delicate and fragile ego from AOC to Mark Ruffalo to Kathy Griffin. He apparently is even starting to charge people for accounts now. All of this is exactly why the American people did not want him to buy Twitter - they knew he would do shit like this to ruin the platform.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Pretty much what J. Scarbrough said. This was all forecast in detail when the news broke about Elon buying Twitter.

Being a veteran all the folks I served with fit into that "haters and fascists" category and it's a lot easier for me to deal with on Facebook than Twitter.

But of course I made the mistake of following astronomy feeds and all the flerf Dunning-Kruger proof stupids are spouting their ignorance. Gonna need some Fight the Flat Earth YouTube to restore my faith in humanity.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Woke up an hour early with indigestion and really couldn't go back to sleep.

But it worked out to be the exact time to see the lunar eclipse. Now that is neat.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Love a lunar eclipse. It was already light in the UK unfortunately, especially as we finally had a break from the rain.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Today's civic duty day :)

1. Vote (check)

2. Get car inspected (check)

3. Fill out son's 8-page social security form because he gets benefits, and SSA has to determine if he's now still eligible for benefits after he got a new 12-hour per week job. Not only do they want copies of the pay stubs (count 6) from his new job (understandable), but they want PAPER copies of his pay stubs from the 2 part-time jobs he held in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 (count 204 bc he didn't work the last month) that they have already received And scanned. (purgatory)

I'd like to believe that our new senator, whomever it turns out to be, would not only care but DO something to improve this assinine process, but pipe dreams are too much energy these days.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@J_Scarbrough - I mean that Twitter is shit already. Musk wading in there will make it much worse, but it's already terrible anyway.

———–

@ayesinback - Ah, they never do. Generally it's up to affected people like you to do all the backbreaking, thankless, time consuming work of campaigning and changing the thing that needs changing all by yourself. :(

———–

Re- Lunar stuff.
A strange thing happened last night.
I came home very late from a friends place, it was almost 12PM
As I went to walk down my street I saw a fat, stocky bird on the street sign. I walked up close to see and it was an owl. I looked up at it for a while and it looked down at me. Then it decided to fly off into the shadows. So I continued on my way down my street.

But I noticed a very curious thing! Everything was strangely bright, like it was just before dawn or really early evening. REALLY bright. It felt like day but with the dimness turned up and the colours gone.
I looked around for what was causing the brightness…

It wasn't the streetlights, they're dim and few and far between. It wasn't house lights because almost all were out. It wasn't starlight because the sky was blanketed solid with cloud. It wasn't the moon either because that was also completely behind the clouds. I could just see the rim of it through cloud and it was no brighter than usual. And there were no moon shadows anywhere.

It seemed that the clouded sky was just emitting its own pale universal light from all directions and there was no light I could find that was the source of that reflection. Nothing on the horizon etc.

I had to just reason in the end that my eyes were just super adapting to the darkness.
I tested that when I got home- I went inside, turned lights on to get ready for bed and then went outside again and looked into the darkness and it seemed just as dark it normally should be- not weirdly bright at all in any way. No special light coming from the sky.

If I was a magical thinker I'd say the owl gifted me with its night vision for the walk home :)
But I'm not and I know it'd just be my eyes.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I remember that from when I did lots of stumbling around in the dark when I was in the Army. Suddenly everything was more ambient.
Now driving to work in the dark every morning I know when that happens it's time to put on the blue blocker glasses because of my increased light sensitivity after my eye operations.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I've experienced the same thing a few times, so I looked it up and it's a documented scientific phenomenon. Cloud cover really can amplify ambient light from natural sources like the moon, as well as artificial lighting.

Magical owls definitely play a big part in this, but their role is not so easily explained. We're just not that wise yet.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah, it's probably a mixture of the clouds reflecting all the ambient light and my eyes adjusting to it just right- cos' as I say after going inside and coming out again it as inky blackness for me, even when I waited a bit.

Thanks for the link Scarf! Much appreciated!

TheJagged
TheJagged
Posted at

I can mark 2022 as the year i finally started taking my learning of programming seriously. After like, 3 years of putting it off due to insecurities… i mean, what if it turns out i'm just too stupid to code? Well, turns out i kinda am but i'm also very stubborn, so i've been sticking with it for a month and making marginal, baby step progress.

var progress = false
if progress = true
print("Little victories")

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@thejagged- congrats on that!
Once you get into it it's a lot easier than you think because it's all based in logic. The hardest part for me was learning all the commands that are available and then learning all the shortcut, shorthand commands. I found that SO confusing! :(

_______

Rant about The Watch.
So this is based in the comedy fantasy Discworld books by Terry Pratchett but it's been totally reinvented to fit with modern fashions.

It's SO bloody f***ing obvious about it. It's like it was done as a College Humour sketch designed specifically to parody this style.
- ok, so let's modernise this fantasy bullshit and get rid of any charming mediaeval stuff.
Let's shave everyone's hair on the sides and make everyone wear eyeliner!
Ok, let's genderswap the lord of the city because controlling condescending women are in fashion.
Let's randomly swap white characters with African actors.
Colourful hair.
Transperson.
Ok that character that was the main one that started off the whole entire arc, Carrot, let's make him a total rookie that comes in as a minor side character and have all his rookie recruits be the senior guys who boss him about…

And so on. I'm ranting about it here because it's not appropriate to attack the story like this in the review thread. The final product is well made and really very good.
I'm just totally baffled by why they felt the need to totally rewrite the story (and it's a GREAT story originally), instead of just creating their own original thing. It's like tieing an anchor around the neck of a champion sprinter-i.e. The Watch would be much better if it didn't have the baggage of being a stupid adaptation.

Do an original story and don't do fanfiction! No matter how good it is it's STILL fanfiction.

Posted at

You know what I've come to realize? More often than not when a show does a Valentine's Day episode, they don't bother to change the season in that episode to reflect that it's winter, those episodes still look like standard spring or summer time, but Valentine's Day is a winter holiday: even if it takes place in a region where it doesn't usually snow (like down here in the southern US), the trees should still be bare, and characters should still at least be wearing long sleeves, or maybe even a light jacket).

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

J_Scarbrough wrote:
You know what I've come to realize? More but Valentine's Day is a winter holiday: even if it takes place in a region where it doesn't usually snow (like down here in the southern US), the trees should still be bare, and characters should still at least be wearing long sleeves, or maybe even a light jacket).
Because the whole world is Southern California. 🤣

I've seen a few anime where they treat it as pre-spring with jackets and winter school uniforms.

You'd think Hallmark channel would get on it and do Valentine's Day in Minnesota with twelve feet of snow. I'll have to ask my sister, she's inherited watching the channel since mom passed away. So many memories that it's just a warm glow watching the channel.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:

You'd think Hallmark channel would get on it and do Valentine's Day in Minnesota with twelve feet of snow.

Are they the ones who make all those Christmas movies, where the guy/girl gets stuck in some small town where everyone is obsessed with Christmas, but Christmas won't be Christmas anymore because of X,Y or Z, but they end up falling in love and together they save Christmas against all the odds and then they stay forever in Christmas town? They choke me up every time.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

You'd think Hallmark channel would get on it and do Valentine's Day in Minnesota with twelve feet of snow.

Are they the ones who make all those Christmas movies, where the guy/girl gets stuck in some small town where everyone is obsessed with Christmas, but Christmas won't be Christmas anymore because of X,Y or Z, but they end up falling in love and together they save Christmas against all the odds and then they stay forever in Christmas town? They choke me up every time.
Yes. That is one of their stock plots. They have a selection of formulas. In fact, they did a contest where they had entertainment writers choose a stock plot and do a script with a suggested cast. At least one ended up being made. Pure formula but some really transcend the genre.

The movie industry knows a good thing. They've only been doing formula pictures for certain audiences for 110 years or so.

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

The no-nonsense lady exec who sneers at the little town's batty inhabitants and can't wait to sell her inherited property (ruining everybody's Xmas) and move back to the city, but then she meets the handsome local log cutter and learns the true value of tinsel. I love those.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

dpat57 wrote:
The no-nonsense lady exec who sneers at the little town's batty inhabitants and can't wait to sell her inherited property (ruining everybody's Xmas) and move back to the city, but then she meets the handsome local log cutter and learns the true value of tinsel. I love those.

And the local log cutter lost his wife three years back in a tragic local log cutting accident, so he's selling up and moving his daughter to the city so they won't be haunted by memories, but the little girl is heartbroken cos she only wants to sing in the Christmas pageant, like her poor mom always did and the no nonsense exec lady realises she doesn't want to be an exec lady after all, she wants to be the little girls new mom and open a local Christmas bauble store. I really love those.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

AND HE HAS A DOG AND A BEAT UP OLD PICK-UP TRUCK!

He HAS to.

It is required and mandatory that he has those two things in order to be a proper son of the earth in rural America.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:
AND HE HAS A DOG AND A BEAT UP OLD PICK-UP TRUCK!

He HAS to.

It is required and mandatory that he has those two things in order to be a proper son of the earth in rural America.

Unless he's the victim of a country western song and his pick up was repossessed and his dog got run over. Or maybe both were taken by the girl that broke his heart. Pretty much anybody can write one of these things.

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

His beloved Tesla pickup truck dun up and left him, but he's still got his old guitar, and when the scheduled band can't make it to the pageant because of the sudden snowstorm, it's his time to shine. They thought he was a deadbeat loser until he played the opening bars of JOLENE. His daughter loves him again.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Unless he's the victim of a country western song and his pick up was repossessed and his dog got run over. Or maybe both were taken by the girl that broke his heart. Pretty much anybody can write one of these things.
Nope. There's no crossover with country songs because those are aimed at guys and these are aimed and women. So the dog and pickup are constants. ^_^
dpat57 wrote:
His beloved Tesla pickup truck dun up and left him, but he's still got his old guitar, and when the scheduled band can't make it to the pageant because of the sudden snowstorm, it's his time to shine. They thought he was a deadbeat loser until he played the opening bars of JOLENE. His daughter loves him again.
This is a forbidden fan-fiction and therefore it has to include at least one vampire, werewolf, billionaire bondage dom, or pregnant Sonic. XD

Posted at

No turkey or honeybaked turkey slices this time. It's all gourmet fried chicken this Thanksgiving for me and my family. ((leans back on office chair in delight))

Posted at

ThrisbyDude wrote:
No turkey or honeybaked turkey slices this time. It's all gourmet fried chicken this Thanksgiving for me and my family. ((leans back on office chair in delight))

Happy Thanksgiving, ThrisbyDude. :)

Posted at

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Kawaii. ;)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Happy Turkey time to the USA people :)

————-

Isn't it one of the weirdest pieces of irony that anyone who claims to be an "empath" is the exact opposite of the meaning of that word?
It could be used as the definition of "Irony" actually.

They claim to be sensitive to people's feelings and to know exactly what they're feeling.
But in my experience and the experience of people I've talked to about them, what they actually do is TELL people what those people are feeling and then take actions based on their own invented idea of the person's mental-state/pain or whatever else they claim to intuit with their fake powers of empathy. XD

Never, ever trust an "empath".

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.