Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Dead Webcomics

lothar
lothar
Posted at

There are a lot of cool comics on this site that no longer update. It's too bad they will be lost to the sands of time like tears in the rain . Like sands through the hourglass , so too are the days of our lives.

I propose that we have a Weekly or Bi-monthly spotlight to shine a spotlight on these lost Gemz. What say you?

It should prolly be stuff that hasn't updated for 10 years or more

Posted at

Like I suggested in another thread, I've come across such comics that have never been updated at all, or at the very least, maybe only have a couple of pages, which is why I think there ought to be some kind of pruning system set into place that comic should have a minimum number of pages (say maybe five) set within a certain amount of time from launch to give authors and creators an opportunity to really invest in sharing their comics, otherwise, let them be pruned to conserve space and bandwidth.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

I disagree J. What you said is almost the opposite of what I said.

anyway, if they don't have many pages, how are they using up much space or bandwidth ?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Space and bandwidth isn't really an issue these days. And where is can be an issue it's only a thing for currently updating comics (bandwidth), not old ones. So we can happily keep them :)
Using an Amazon cloud based system for that really helps!

We could have saved SO much money over the years if we used our primary host storage for our art but then we would of had to prune and manage it really closely. As it is creators have way more freedom. It certainly costs more but it's worth it for the community.

—————–

Lothar, it's a good idea.
Would you consider being a news-poster admin in charge of that? You could do a a newspost every second week- so two spotlights a month?

lothar
lothar
Posted at

OK, here's what I found just clicking every link that shows up in Quails random:

tooned outa historical view of 2000s drug culture. quite different than it is nowdays. Last update 2009

What Our Eyes Have Yet To See
The story of a girl raised in isolation and brainwashed to be a human sacrifice.

Lucy_DreamsShe lives with a comic book artist and is tempted into what looks like camgirlery

Tears Of The Moon Theres only 2 pages but one of them looks nice , Last updated in 2009

Welcome To Border City
A gritty scifi with nice colors and some cool page layouts. Last updated 2011. It has some broken image links as a reult of the server move of 2011

Amy Raised by Tiger
some realy good drawings of tigers. LAst updated 2009

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:

Lothar, it's a good idea.
Would you consider being a news-poster admin in charge of that? You could do a a newspost every second week- so two spotlights a month?

I would be honored

I've become a big fan of the raw, unpolished, unfiltered storytelling of mid 2000s webcomics

Posted at

Whoa, did I just witness lothar become a news-poster admin on this forum thread? This is excellent news.

Congratulations and Welcome to the fold, lothar! ^_^

Posted at

I had to search for my old account but I remember loving this comic
Sovest

and there was one that I think was called Lena but it seems to be gone :c

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

So Lothar becomes our very own Indiana Jones, bravely seeking out the legendary lost or buried artefacts of The Duck! What will we learn about the people of those times, their strange customs and mysterious lore? Can't wait to see what delights you uncover.

Are you sure all the broken links are down to 2011 server move? I had a page disappear on me just last week for no apparent reason.

Posted at

Okay so just putting Anti featured as a past source of these things.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Damnnnn ! It looks like Locoma had almost the same idea over a decade ago. And he did a damn good job of of it too. I'm gonna have to think about how this will work. I don't want to retread what he has already done.

@Ironscarf: I've seen a few outside of the 2011 timeframe but I thought maybe they were incompatible file types like flash animations or something. I had that happen to one of my pages. DD used to allow them a long time ago.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Here's the criteria I'm thinking of:

1. Hasn't updated in at least 10 years
2. Creator has also been inactive for that time
3. Isn't currently active somewhere else on the web
4. Hasn't been featured

How's that?

I don't want to put too many restrictions on things like number of pages or the comic being abandoned and left unresolved. That's kinda the whole point of this, to highlight some cool ideas or art that fell by the wayside for whatever reason.

plymayer
plymayer
Posted at

so too are the days of our lives.

As the Stomach Turns

Othosmops
Othosmops
Posted at

The reason I got hooked on the Duck a seemingly eternity ago was David C. Simon's Crimson Dark series.

On The Duck:
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Crimson_Dark/4828057/
New location:
https://www.davidcsimon.com/crimson-dark

It doesn't meet your criteria, Lothar.
Still, I think we should be able to appreciate good comic series that are stored here in parts, and even point out their new location (which is really not easy to find in Crimson Dark and furthermore has a poor navigation), because as a commnuity we also look appreciatively beyond the horizon of our own platform, don't we?

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Kind of sad that with all this attention on abandoned works we're overlooking those who persevered and finished a work and have it archived on the site.
The person who saw their dream through is ignored for the person who just gave up. Sure many showed a lot of promise but just giving up should really decrease their value.

This is where I indulge in self depreciation saying what little worth my opinion holds.

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Kind of sad that with all this attention on abandoned works we're overlooking those who persevered and finished a work and have it archived on the site.
Maybe you could put together a list of finished comics, and include your own. Heh, now that I type that, it sounds like a titanic job.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.