Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Hmmm, so heeeey… I haven't dealt with this until recently so I didn't realize there was a change, but just how in the heck do we recommend comics on our profiles anymore? There's the section, but absolutely no way to alter it!

I probably woulda mentioned it on the survey had I realized this passive form of webcomic support had disappeared on us! I was always very fond of finding comics through profiles of comic creators I liked (you'd find similar interests that way!)

I'm just curious what happened to it? Is there some convoluted method I'm just not seeing? I mean it's DD, I'm kinda used to convoluted! (◔∀◔)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It IS weird: to recommend a Comic you go to the Comic and hit to "recommend" text link in the top bar.
It's light grey and sits under "News".
Recommendations are listed in alphabetical order in your profile. You have to hit the "More" tag bellow to display them all. There are removal buttons on the right.

Convoluted :/

Posted at

OOOHHH Thank you! I never in a million years woulda guessed it was there now! I'll be honest, aside from favorites I couldn't have told you what else was in that menu bar without looking! Something about it is so inconspicuous it just sort of becomes white noise…

It really HAS been a long time since I set to manage my favorites, because it used to be done from the control panel. That's one of the things DD oughta consider in phase 3, consolidating these things better. It was nice to be able to manage your favorites from the panel!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yep, it should all be managed from one area. We'll make some threads for discussion of that- we can decide what functionality should be in each area.

I never notice that bar either. It has some very useful functionality, but it's just so forgettable.

Posted at

Heh well it's comforting that I'm not the only one who gets that grey-bar myopia! It'll be nice in the future if these things get consolidated, I look forward to it. :D

May I make another minor suggestion for the future? I'm noticing more and more comics uploading ridiculously HUGE headers for their comics and it makes it a pain to read through someone's archive when they got a full comic page size image to scroll past, maybe something like a simple size suggestion next to the comic header uploader would be helpful? Like "for best results stay under 300 pixels height". Over 1000 pixels tall is a bit much is all I'm sayin', but I think people might react poorly to cropping the overlarge images.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's a good point Amy. massive headers are EXTREMELY annoying when reviewing potential featured comics and I have to look through page after page after page scrolling down every single time.

For now I think the best thing to do will be to contact these silly people directly- via PQ and on comments on their comic. next time I see that I'm going to make a point to tell them how much that turns off readers. :)

Bruno Harm
Bruno Harm
Posted at

Hey,
I was thinking about loading my whole buffer into the hopper on a time release kinda thing, but I feel like I read on the forums that the pages can get out of order. Has anyone done this lately? how's it working? Also, how do you do it? just set the "live date" on each page for the date in the future you would like it to be released? At once a week, I have almost a years worth of strips to upload.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Regardless of the live date the order gets mixed up. It happens because the pages oder themselves in whichever uploads first, second etc.
So even when they go live they'll still be in that order.

To fix it is easy enough. You just look at your page overview and put things in the correct order, which is simple if the titles reflect the page number.
It's just a pain in the arse that you have to take that extra step.

It is something that Alexey is working on.

Posted at

Soooo, I noticed the recent update list hasn't budged today and just thought it was a slow day until I went to update and my comic didn't appear on the main page, something going on behind the scenes at the moment perhaps?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yes! Last night (my night) I was informed by Alexey that he'd implemented some bug fixes.
I will list exactly what a bit later when I'm up and at work, or after work… When I can basically.
But for now please tell me if anything is broken. The front page updates? :(

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Just so you're aware, I just got a comment from one of my readers; I linked to a bonus that's in my imagelocker here and they said it was giving their computer a "malicious site" warning. Could be nothing, but if there's an issue with Amazon I thought you should be aware just in case! Hopefully just a hiccup but if it's something, well ya know to look out for it!

…it would REALLY suck if people are getting run off this site by malicious site warnings so it kinda worries me!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

From quick research I've done that sort of thing seems to be done by 3rd parties: sometimes if people have AVG enabled to protect their webbrowsing or some other online protection like that it has false positives.
In other cases it's a malicious 3rd party pretending that sites have issues in order to redirect the user somewhere else.

What was the link to your bonus image?
Was it directly from the DD link or was it through a URL shortner or something?
Also, they may be viewing DD through a 3rd party URL, like this site: http://archive.is/vtO87 - or something much less obvious.

All I'm saying is that it's very unlikely to be Amazon or DD, and I've heard about "safe browsing" protectors being more and more unreliable these days.

I would still REALLY love a screenshot and/or the exact URL of the warning page and the image link they used. :)

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Yeah, I found it puzzling myself since the site has been pretty clean lately, what with the ad network switched to something more trustworthy!

Nope nothing fancy, just a direct link to the image from my locker!
Here's the url I used
I can't post images in my notes on my site, and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and link to the image directly while displaying it in my notes on here.

I'd ask for a screenshot but I changed the link already, i can ask them a few follow-ups but I dunno if they'll see another reply. Yeah, it's frustrating when dealing with something as vague as "malicious site warning" because that could be a number of things not related to it.

I kinda assume it's 3rd party stuff myself, but figured it's worth bringing up in case it's something needing to be looked into. It's reassuring to hear that it's unlikely to be from our site though!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Thanks Amy!

You know I think it woul d be an avg search protect function using an old filter lust from back when we had our crappy adds:)

Btw, our top ten list is fixed now and lists comics by views! Hippie doesn't have to manually change it herself anymore.

The default comic list is also by views. The list will surprise and sshock!
Unfortunately search functions also list by views, which is not as helpful…

Posted at

no prob, just doing my part to make sure the site's ok! Curse that old ad network though, we all got so much crap over that…(◕︿◕,)

Oh yeah I noticed the change, I was wondering if it was that! I was confused 'cuz most of the comics are on hiatus! Hopefully some stuff that's updating starts pulling in more hits, now that it's working again I hope it will motivate some action in there!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

At the moment the rank is by views- which was the easiest to do and for me to think of… That means comics with a big archive have a BIG advantage.

I've asked for the rankings to be by uniques, but because we don't have a counter for that it's a BIG change to ask for, so it will likely cost extra money.
My own fault for not thinking ahead :/

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Aw don't beat yourself up about it, having had to deal with my own site there's just so many factors that don't occur to you until it's staring you in the face! And I DEFINITELY understand the issue of figuring something out right when you DON'T have the money to implement it, haa!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It's ok, I've paid extra money for that and for some other features to be added :)

One new change that people may notice is that looking at this https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/
NOW you see the post count as well as the last posts that were active in each forum! Woooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yet another DD update-

1. The front page and comic ranking now excludes comics that haven't updated for 4 months. Those comics will pop back into the ranks when they DO update again though and they can still be seen in a search or on their own creator's profile pages etc so they're not hidden by any means. Also, if they were high in the ranks without updating then they obviously have no need for the exposure that gave them.

2. The forum overview page now lists the last person to comment in that forum, plus the time and date stamp, not the thread they posted in. Alexey misunderstood me when I asked for that extra info. What do you think, should the thread title come back? https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/

3. The project wonderful code was updated to newer code… HOPEFULLY we'll get more ad revenue because we took in less cash than it costs to pay for the site AGAIN this month even though there are more people visiting the site.

Prototype
Prototype
Posted at

Great update. Keeps the front page and Top10 fresh and active.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Another DD update:
Pagination for PQs has been enabled now, so if you've got hundreds of the things (or thousands like me) you can now read them ALL and it won't slow down the site.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I love the fact that we've finally fixed the Comics Search so that it actually works, and that the Top Ten is actually a legit Top Ten… but I'm not crazy about the sorting system when I go to search for comics. The current search page gives preferential treatment to comics that have already been successful funneling people in. From a user standpoint, as someone looking to discover new comics rather than being force-fed the same popular ones over and over, I'd rather the Search feature just list comics in terms of most recently updated, plain and simple. If we want to have a Comics Ranking page, that really should be a completely separate feature.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's a good idea El Cid… unfortunately Alexey has moved on to other tasks now.
You can still access them by selecting the updated options and searching with a blank field.

In future what well do I think is have a "more" link on the top ten, quail's random and the updated list that will take you to the appropriate rank lists.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

That would be really cool.

Searching with a blank field still gives me comics ranked by (I'm guessing) hits or uniques or whatnot; they're not chronological. But it's not a huge problem; just kinda irked me. I usually make time towards the end of the week to do a quick search of what new comics have posted that week, and it used to give a tidy listing (alphabetized, I think). Now, the order's a little bit wonky, but it's not the end of the world. I just know I have to skip the first page or two because it's all going to be established comics that I already know about.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.