Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Another new thing is a commin'

This one is a popup notification that you have a PQ. It will look like this:

And it will go in the middle of the screen as soon as you get a new message, informing you in real time. You won't have to close it or click it, it just goes away when you browse away from it- though you CAN close them if you like or click on them to go to your inbox.
There will also be a setting feature so you can turn these off for good, but they will be on by default because it's pretty harmless.

They only show up once when you get a new message and never again, not until you get another message.

The little number of "personal Quacks" in your mini-contronl panel on the right will go to red when you have 5 or more PQs.
THIS stuff should hopefully facilitate communication on the site a bit better…
So people who only even comment on comics will be able to see when someone contacts them finally!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I've noticed that the notice of preloaded pages will appear on the front page and in my favorites, but if I go to the page the last page is still there until the server updates (?)

For example, We are the Duck just appeared on the front page with an update. But page 8 (last week's update) is still there as the latest page . I will not see page 9 until after 3am ET or so.

So the notice of update shows up on the front page at UK time but I won't see it until after midnight Pacific Time zone or so?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

We currently have quite a problem with the "recently updated" list on the front page of the site: only comics with the update time of 05-08-2016 at 12am are showing up- and it's not even that date yet, going by the server time. I'm not sure why this has happened… I'm guessing it might be because of the ram upgrade yesterday and it will fix itself when the the 5th really does click over on the server clock, but I can't be sure.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
I've noticed that the notice of preloaded pages will appear on the front page and in my favorites, but if I go to the page the last page is still there until the server updates (?)

For example, We are the Duck just appeared on the front page with an update. But page 8 (last week's update) is still there as the latest page . I will not see page 9 until after 3am ET or so.

So the notice of update shows up on the front page at UK time but I won't see it until after midnight Pacific Time zone or so?
Sorry Bravo, you are right here, I missed this…
I've be asked Alexey to look into it.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

has anyone else had trouble when moving pages around? I moved one by accident and now I can't set it right, no matter what I do pages will not go in correct order. It seems random whether it moves one or two spaces when I click the up or down arrows. Sometimes it moves it, but also moves other pages as well.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Which comic? The page may have been received the same order number as another in he backend by accident.

shastab24
shastab24
Posted at

Yesterday and today I've had a PQ alert at the top of my screen about a new message (same one, as I didn't click the X), but there's no new message in my inbox.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Just reload the site and it will go.
Or hit f5 or control F5
Butthe reload icon on your browser will do :)

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Which comic? The page may have been received the same order number as another in he backend by accident.

We are the duck. I have some pages preuploaded so i can delete and re upload but if there's a bug then best to look into.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

We are the duck. I have some pages preuploaded so i can delete and re upload but if there's a bug then best to look into.
Fixed it.
It was as I thought- for some reason one of the pages got the same sort order number as another.

Was that because you were moving them pretty fast maybe, and the system got confused?
I just need to try and understand what causes the bug.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

when moving them it was a case of click once and wait for the page to refresh, except when I first did it as I tried to go back and undo it before communication completed.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ahhh… That makes sense! I wonder how we can fix that automatically. Hmmm
Or maybe even just have a link to PQ me about it to fix it.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

Are you guys doing some maintenance to the site? Because the updates are all screwed up.

I tried to post a comic this evening (around 7 p.m. local US Central time), and it didn't show up on the front page. The comics that are actually on the front page right now (Jonathan Quackup, Sin City, Men in Black, Johnny Bullet, etc.) are not even currently updated (Johnny Bullet last updated on August 2).

Because I have some of these comics on my Favorites List, I can infer that these are all comics which have been preloaded to update tomorrow. For instance, Jonathan Quackup is listed on my Favorites as updated on August 9… even though it's still August 8. Why are these preloaded comics showing up on the front page today, and without the newly updated pages, and why is my current update not showing up at all?

???

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

EDIT: Jonathin Quackup just added an August 8 update. But the same still applies to all the other comics on the front page right now. They haven't updated, in some cases since July, and in the Favorites menu, they're listed as updated August 9 (which is tomorrow).

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

See a couple of posts further up in the thread-

I've asked Alexey to sort it but haven't heard back yet.
The display system seems to be running to a different time to the update system.

No response at all from Alexey… I'll wait a bit longer.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It should be fixed by today's update :)

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

More a suggestion/heads up than a bug, but when your page goes live and you need to edit the author's notes, all of the media functions (add link, picture, preview and all of it) are gone. A little frustrating when you want to make a quick edit!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Amelius wrote:
More a suggestion/heads up than a bug, but when your page goes live and you need to edit the author's notes, all of the media functions (add link, picture, preview and all of it) are gone. A little frustrating when you want to make a quick edit!
True! You have to do it all manually with the BB tags.
It's inconsistent.

Posted at

Hmm I got one that's really messing my update schedule here! Every time I go to upload my file, and this was on both browsers (Chrome and Firefox) I get the following error:

413 Request Entity Too Large

nginx/1.10.0 (Ubuntu)

This is puzzling because my page today is smaller than previous pages (page 103 was 1.37 mb .png for example and uploaded just fine, today's I went back and sacrificed hi-res to attempt just to upload it going down from 1.26 to 1.06 and still no dice!)

This is really dismaying, my home website automatically reduces the image to 700px res so I was putting the good stuff on DD and now it won't let me! Gonna try again with a much smaller page…

*edit* got it to post under 1.mb. Not to keen about having to shrink 900px down to 700 again…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yea, I got an email about that just now from another DDer, he said that when he shrunk his page down to 960px it was fixed…
I will talk to Alexey. He did some work yesterday and that might have created the issue.

Posted at

Haha I always feel a little bad complaining! Glad to hear it'll be looked into though! (▬■■ ー ■■)b
(I figured it was something like that, usually when it's a deliberate change youse guys make a thread about it)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Exactly :)
Alexey, our programmer says that error should be fixed now so you can go back to uploading files at the old size :D

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Fantastic! Please convey my gratitude to Alexey for the hard work and quick action! (つ✪ᗜ✪)つ*:・゚✧°☆

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I will. :D
There's a surprise new feature coming up on the site tomorrow. Look out for it!

mishi_hime
mishi_hime
Posted at

I've probably asked this before but any chance we can get a new forum system installed like SMF? I really would like to see something like that in the future. I think if we had a better forum, there would be more activity which would bring in more money to the site. :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.