Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

And there are bizarre folks who have come to like strong bitter coffee.
Non-dairy creamer is one of those things that gained popularity because of milk shortage during WW2.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Non-dairy creamer is one of those things that gained popularity because of milk shortage during WW2.
I think "strong" and Bitter" are perhaps wrongly correlated. But yeah, bitter seems to be the popular type in the US.

It's probably because coffee remained so consistently popular in North America after it was first introduced and so it was disseminated universally in the easiest way to make it at the time- filtering and percolating etc- so it developed along those lines.

The popularity of coffee in places like Britain died out in a big way after the 18th century to be replaced by tea. And that influenced the other commonwealth countries.

I'm not sure about all of Europe, but the most development seemed to be in Italy with all their different milky coffee styles.
(Turkey famously has a super gritty, strong coffee style that became popular all over the Balkans)

In Australia the popularity of coffee exploded post WW2, first with people copying the America style I think, then the development of instant coffee, but mainly it was from a the massive influx of Italian immigrants and the explosion of cafe and deli culture so after the 70s and the 80s Italian coffees became the mainstream.
Not the silly Disnified themed coffee of Starbucks, just standard cappachinos, lattes, expressos, mochas, machiatos etc.

You guys have that in the US (and it's in cafes all over the world), but it doesn't seem to be the popular style.

That's just my perception

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
I think "strong" and Bitter" are perhaps wrongly correlated. But yeah, bitter seems to be the popular type in the US.

That's just my perception
South and Central America have their own coffee culture which is towards very strong coffee (often very bitter) and that has percolated into the USA from the West and Southwest. People overlook the Hispanic influences on American culture.
Real Brazilian coffee is drunk scary strong. Like blast your eyes wide open strong. Some say it's close to Turkish coffee but not as gritty. They also have a whole range of coffee soft drinks that make colas look like the syrupy sweet thing they have become.
Japanese coffee is often Kona which is a very smooth strong coffee. Have it with a touch of raw cane sugar and it's a delight that is very rare on the Mainland. Almost the whole crop goes to Japan with only a trickle coming to the Mainland and then often blended with Columbian.
It's all moot to me now since because of my acid reflux I cannot as a rule drink coffee. Lately I've just been drinking green tea which is not supposed to get milk or non dairy creamer.
By the way, you can get real cream in your coffee by request. A little does go a long way. In restaurants it is often brought out in a tiny pitcher. There are people in the USA who like their coffee nearly white. I preferred battery acid black Tanker juice. The whole strong, bitter US coffee culture where Brazilian is the pinnacle of wonders.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm sick and feel like shit :(
Mit CoVid thank goodness, I've done 3 tests so far so it seems that isn't the thing.
I hate being sick :(
I don't want to do anything

Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:
Mit CoVid thank goodness, I've done 3 tests so far so it seems that isn't the thing.

Feel better.

Watch your favorite films from the 1970s and build a cave out of blankets.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:

I was like that when I had covid, all the lateral flow tests were negative but symptoms were spot on. A PCR test gave a positive result… inspires much confidence about the tests.

I've had covid twice this year, it's made me feel crap but fortunately hasn't been life threatening. I think I may have had it early in the pandemic, before the tests were available. I can't know if it was covid but if it wasn't it was the worst cold or flu I've ever had by a country mile.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@genejoke and @Kawaii
Thanks guys xx

I'm pretty sure this is probably bacterial rather than viral. I had a really bad stomach issue for a few days and work up with a sore throat yesterday and now I have a horrible taste on my tongue, which is yellowish haha!
I'll go to the doctor tomorrow bif it persists. Last time I had strep it was super severe.

So I'm cuddling up on the couch and watching Lightyear.

Man Genejoke, that's a lot of CoVid!

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:

I was like that when I had covid, all the lateral flow tests were negative but symptoms were spot on. A PCR test gave a positive result… inspires much confidence about the tests.

Everyone in the house had covid last month but I was testing negative despite displaying all the same symptoms. The rest of the family only tested positive for a small window of 2 days or so, even though the symptoms went on for a couple of weeks. Maybe I missed that window, or maybe the tests just aren't that reliable.

Hope you're feeling better soon Ozone.

Posted at

Sorry to read about your illness, @Ozoneocean. I hope that doctor finds out what's going on and that you'll recover soon.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@ThrisbyDude thanks man 😚

Being a sick grown up adult sucks… No one to take you to the doctor and sort you out… You have to do it all yourself all the time.

…I'm just whinging. Sometimes friends and family do help. Not today though.

Posted at

Ozoneocean wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is probably bacterial rather than viral. I had a really bad stomach issue for a few days and work up with a sore throat yesterday and now I have a horrible taste on my tongue, which is yellowish…

I don't think I have ever been more attracted to you Oz…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

LOL! I'm going to shut up about my health issues after this haha!
I did a 4th test a 4am this morning and it turns out Ironscarf and Genejoke were right!
I finally tested positive. Confirmed with another test of a different brand at 8 am.

So it got me too. I've had the vaccination and 3 boosters, but even so the infection has made me really ill so far!
Not as bad as the worst flus I've had or chickenpox, at least not yet.
Lord knows how sick I'd have been without the shots though.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

How you doin Ozone? you get over the rona ?

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Wish I'd test positive. Then I could take some time off work. Instead feel miserable and keep plugging away.

I hate pausing work on the comics. I just lose all sense purpose. Everything, nothing, all. I fall into over generalization. And things seem hardly worth the effort I put into them.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

lothar wrote:
How you doin Ozone? you get over the rona ?
Yup! I finally kicked the bug!
I took a week off work and then I worked from home the second week because I was feeling better. I'm all negative now and no longer ill!

I was quite sick for about a week and a bit. VERY sick for the first few days but I've been much sicker:

- When I've had the flu (the actual flu, not just a cold that people call "the flu"). I've had that bad twice in my life. Both times it was extreme and pit me down for 2 solid weeks and left me weak and coughing for many weeks after.

- When I had chicken pox. That was the sickest I've been and for the longest time. I got that as a young adult and it skewed me to the wall. I wanted to die. I wish to the gods I had been vaccinated against that. Took a very long time to recover from.

- And once when I had strep throat. That was only a short illness of about one week but it hit HARD. A timely dose of many strong antibiotics saved me. Thank heavens for home doctor visits.

I think the vaccine and all the booster shots saved me a lot of trouble with CoVid! I would have suffered a LOT worse without that. The worst part was the stuffed up sinuses, the pain in my cheeks was severe and nothing would relieve it for more than a few minutes. Tired all the time too.
But yeah, probably thanks to the vax I was a lot less sick than I could have been.

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

*lunatic conspiracy mode*

What if it was the vaccines that made you ill?

*/lunatic conspiracy mode*

Glad you're feeling better!

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

*either that or the chemtrails*

I think I was around 35 when I got chicken pox - absolute torture. The only good part was being able to get a seat anywhere, anytime, on account of my looking like I had advanced leprosy. I've never seen a room empty so fast.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

dpat57 wrote:
*lunatic conspiracy mode*

What if it was the vaccines that made you ill?

*/lunatic conspiracy mode*

Glad you're feeling better!

THEY activated the chip in the boosters. After his illness he will be their willing slave in the slave country of Australia where all civil liberties have been abolished.
And of course they're not all walking upside down because the earth is flat.

(Don't worry ScimanDan will expose and debunk it all on Tinfoil Tuesday. ) 🤣

Posted at

Walked into a new novelty shop in the town centre today, I noticed it was £15 for a bendy Sauron. Expensive I thought, but it's what he would have wanted.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Froggtreecomics wrote:
Walked into a new novelty shop in the town centre today, I noticed it was £15 for a bendy Sauron. Expensive I thought, but it's what he would have wanted.
The cost for figures has increased exponentially. They found out they could charge a lot for licensed figures and people would pay it. So they do. The LotR figures were over $100, the newer GoT are twice that and the even newer ST figures are edging $300. In twenty years seen the price go from $30 to $300. Amazing. Can't get anything but a blank nude body for less than $100 and that's without a head!

The figures I use in my comics are worth at least $50 each.

I used to get unpainted movie actor resin heads for $10, now they're over $50. And I'd still have to paint them! Love to find a Jack Palance.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Sounds like a kinky dream 😸

Does Ali express have workable alternatives?
It certainly has wierd crap… It sent me an ad with ship and anime models the other day. The anime models looked cool so I clicked through… And there was a posable schoolgirl model tied up and having rations of a sexual nature with a posable dog model. On Ali expres for reals. O_O

——–

Ah…. F me dead. Just as I'm all cured I'd CoVid I go and burn my bloody hand. Stupid gas bbq flash burned me.
I had no idea you could get a burn THIS painful that fast!
It was just a microsecond's explosion. Burning gas gently enveloped my fingers and disappeared faster than thought and the the pain! Argh!
It feels like I've sliced my fingers open.

I phoned my ex who's an ER nurse and got advice.
It's so weird… There were no marks and no physical effects what so ever, just pain. While if I burn myself on metal or scald myself I get blisters right away and the pain fades after a while. This is just going crazy!
The only marks I've had so far was some pinkness.
Cold running water, ice and a cold gauze bandage are the only things that keep the pain bearable.

So that's my rant!
Typing all this keeps my mind to f the pain.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

There's a complete line of BDSM paraphernalia for 1/6 figures. Even scale environments with flagstone floors.

I have the reissues of the infamous 1/13 scale monster series model kits from Aurora that was banned from advertising in comic books in the late 1960s early 1970s.Had the comics and always wanted it. Even had a Vampirella figure but that sold out so fast. Found out Hammer was all set up to do a Vampirella movie in the 1970s. The perfect actress wasn't willing to do the required nudity and they couldn't agree on a script. 😔☹

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Vampirella is an amazing looking character… Too bad the insides of the comics never matched the glory of the covers XD

———————

My flashburn healed, YAY! THAT was an interesting experience, it clued me in an a whole new kind of pain and a new type of burn that I'd never experienced before and I'm grateful for that because it's the sort of thing you have to experience to understand.
Before that I'd just think that a flashburn was like any other kind of burn… now I realise that there are lots of very different kinds of burns and I do NOT want to experience any others… Imagine how bad an actual 3rd degree burn must be? JEEEEZZZZZUS…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.